Truck Stops And Snow Removal...

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by STexan, Dec 6, 2016.

1. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Kudos to Pilot and Flying J. Last 2 I parked at in northern Illinois did outstanding jobs clearing snow shortly after the most recent snowfall.

I hate truck stops that simply don't care and won't put any time, effort, or expense into snow removal following winter events.

Most of the really treacherous, icy walks I can recall over the last several winters were at either an independent truck stop or a Loves or a Petro or TA. My guess is a PFJ recently lost in court a case involving a driver who hurt themself slipping on ice from a storm that happened many days prior but no removal effort was obviously ever made.

Here's your chance to praise or bash a particular location. But be fair. It should be understood that during and immediately following snowfall, you can't expect much in the way of cleared driveways and walkways.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    What if you slip, trip and fall cause of pee bottle or baggy of doo doo in parking lot-who do you sue then?

4. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
    YES

5. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Pilot in Clearlake,iowa here's how they cleared their lot,pile all the snow around the scale.I asked them to clear the scale which he did but with an attitude.I enjoyed watching him,lol.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    It's not an easy task and you have to temporarily put it places that may be a problem for others until it can be repositioned again. Busy and full truck stops are the worse but it needs to be done.

7. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I understand that but in this case they had the snow so far out you had to go thru the fuel island to go park Truckstops need to be accessible for trks not some obstacle course with. snow mounds all over the place.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  8. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    Last year, the husband had to put on chains to even get out of the lot at one station. He was up toward Wyoming somewhere.

9. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    That would royally suck especially if he was just starting his day.

10. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    I was stuck in my parking spot this morning at the Pilot in Austintown, OH for about 15 minutes which ticked me off. Last night when I pulled in it was 32* and the parking lot was slushy with no real traction problems. Over night it dropped to around 22* and turned it into an ice skating rink. Gotta love that feeling of letting the clutch out and realizing you're not going anywhere. I carry a couple extra gallons of windshield de-icer so I popped one of those open and dumped about a quart in front of each drive position and let that sit for a few minutes. Must have helped a little because I was eventually able to rock myself out by jumping on and off the clutch at the right moment but what a BS way to start the day.

Some places are real good about it and then there are others that clearly don't give a crap how much trouble it causes when it compacts into ice.

Lostkeys Thanks this.
  11. J.S.

J.S. Medium Load Member

Jun 27, 2015
    Texas
    Loves flagstaff.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.