Truck with no engine break HELP.

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by Jrry, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Jrry

Jrry Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2016
    Good morning everyone!!! I've got a big issue, wanted to see what advice or what can I do. I purchase a used semi truck 2012 Peterbilt 386 on July 14,2016 without engine break when the sales lady had said it did had it. I did ask her the first time when I test drove the truck she show me the button an engine with a fan. I said oh ok I need it cause I gonna go back a forward the grapevine hill, Now when I was going thru hill with 24 tons of compose trying to keep it at 35 mph with smoke on my trailer tires notice that the truck did Not had engine break. So I took it to a cummins mechanic and he confirm that the truck had no engine breaks. Another thing I called the lady after i drove down the hill to ask her about the engine she replied that she had forgotten to tell me that the truck did not had engine break it did had a trailer breaks. Should I just take it to the dealer, does lemon law applied to this. Any advise is appreciated.

Road Killer Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    What? Lemon law? You do know engine brake is an option right? You don't need it, but it does help a lot. Trying the stabbing brake technique. Don't over heat them and just be careful.

If the old generation could do it without engine brake, u can too

4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Hate to say it but you're stuck with it. While the salesperson should know what they're selling, you should have tried it to see if it worked.

Road Killer, OLDSKOOLERnWV and alghazi Thank this.
  5. Truenorthexpress

Truenorthexpress Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Lemon law on a used truck? Why didn't you just flip on what the sales lady said was the engine brake and see if it worked when you test drove the truck?

6. alghazi

alghazi Road Train Member

Aug 29, 2014
  7. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    Wait..... What?

Road Killer Thanks this.
  8. j_martell

j_martell Light Load Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Centre Wellington, Ontario
  9. little cat 500

little cat 500 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Abbottstown PA
    you got what you paid for

Road Killer Thanks this.
  10. roadranger550

roadranger550 Light Load Member

Jun 20, 2016
    What she showed you was the switch to manually turn on the engine fan. This is what the international symbol is for an engine brake, if the rockers dont actually say "Engine Brake".
    You see the picture of an engine inside of the "drum brake" with the "shoes" on the outside:

[​IMG]

This is what a typical three position engine brake tends to look like be it a real Jake Brake or
    the quieter noise limiting engine brakes, some use two rockers, not flip switches like these:

[​IMG]

Yeah, I dont know what the hell she was talking about with the trailer brakes, unless she meant
    the lever mounted trailer brake located on the steering column or on the dash. She sounds like a real shady lady to me.

Personally, I think she took you for a ride, and not a good one, driver. You will have to drive slower on down grades in a lower gear and stab brake the rig, looking for, or smelling for brakes heating up. Best to pull over and let them cool down. You could add an engine brake but that's gonna cost you some serious of money to do so. Anyway you can return it? That or get a lawyer, I'd say.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    Road Killer Thanks this.
  11. little cat 500

little cat 500 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Abbottstown PA
    if he didn't try the engine brake on the test drive it's his own dumb fault no lawyer needed

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.