Trucks vs Massachusetts low train Bridge

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Johny41, Aug 24, 2015.

1. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I agree,there is 2 signs right there,narrow bridge and low clarence 10"6".But the again who reads signs when GPS does it for them.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DoubleO7

DoubleO7 Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I like the Rand Mcknally laminated truckers atlas. When I drove 11 years ago, often I could plan my route from it and memorize the destination from qualcom directions from the nearest exit on 800 plus mile trips. Then I could bump the dock without ever looking at directions again. I think all the tech is making people dumber.

tsavory, Criminey Jade and pattyj Thank this.
  4. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    You said a mouthful when you said all the tech is making people dumber,lol.Only time I used my GPS is when im close to the cust so I did'nt miss my turns especially at night when its raining or snowing.Even then I would call the cust the day I picked up the load instead of at the last minute.I was always one step ahead,not many even trip plan anymore from the many posts I read.

Moving Forward Thanks this.
  5. DoubleO7

DoubleO7 Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Yep. in all walks of life you don't see enough people with a pen and notebook either. They use their cell phone!! Always messin with their dang cellphone.

Moving Forward Thanks this.
  6. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    My idea of trip planning is while at the shipper get out my atlas plan my route,then write it down.Call the customer for directions write it down.A computer is nice to have when dispatch won't give you the receivers number and won't look it up for you.'Ive had to find the customers number many times with my lap top.

7. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Ever notice you never see school buses getting topped in these videos.....

8. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Or rv's for that matter.

9. tech10171968

tech10171968 Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Daytona Beach, FL
    I personally see nothing wrong with GPS. The real problem is when you use GPS as a crutch, letting it drive the truck instead of you. Even some of the so-called truck GPS units will get it wrong every once in a while; I guess that's why I was always taught that a GPS unit does not relieve the driver from having to look out that wndshield to see where that unit is taking him.

I like to use my GPS more like an electronic atlas rather than a co-pilot. I'll use it to plan the trip but still like to compare it to what I see in my Rand-McNally road atlas. Force of habit, I guess; I've seen over-reliance on GPS get too many people into deep doo-doo.

10. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Would be nice if every GPS user felt the way you do.

11. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Yea I had my trip written down and planned out-- I85 up to I95 and north bound and such out of Charlotte NC. Last night turned on the GPS and got up on the freeway following the little blue line next thing I know I am on I77 heading for I81--- no no no I don't want to go that way lol.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.