walmart is the best driving job i've ever had

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by montanamel, May 18, 2009.

1. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    Be sure you can do the pre-trip inspection, just like on the CDL test, and not miss anything. I know of drivers that were sent home because they missed something on the pre-trip. Also know of a driver that failed the check ride because he slipped the trans up in neutral as he was slowing down for a light. I imagine not all safety guys are the same when it comes to giving the test, some will be stricter than others.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BFL123

BFL123 Light Load Member

May 27, 2012
    gaffney, sc
    Thanks for all the info, Can I ask you, when you put the application in, it has on the site something about the jobs being posted for a min of 28 days. Does that mean they screen all the apps that they received during that 28 days and then call the qualified guys? Whats the biggest reason for guys not beig called i.e. driving record, too many jobs, not enough experience? Also, if i remembe right, if they want to interview you you will be called and if not you wont get a call at all? Thanks for any help and sorry about all the questions

4. NYVET

NYVET Medium Load Member

May 15, 2013
    Springville NY
    I was told they would send you a rejection letter should they pass you up. But it does take a little time depending on when you applied as opposed to when they close the posting. I applied April 6 and got called mid May.

A lot of guys don't make it through the physical, and if they make it through that, some don't pass the background checks. You need to be totally, completely 100% honest and put down anything and everything they ask about within the time frame in which they ask, and don't bother volunteering info that is OUTSIDE the time frame they are asking for. Example: any accidents in the last 3 years? If you had an accident 3 years and one day ago, put NO. They are not only looking for honesty, they are also VERY BIG on accuracy AND following directions to the letter. Also make sure your employment history leaves NOTHING out, no matter how insignificant it might seem. If you worked 3 days at the gas station on the corner, put it down! If you did not fully and honestly disclose everything, you will be given a chance to make any corrections when you show up for your interview. They hand you your printed application to make any amendments. Take this opportunity to put down the corner gas station job you worked for 3 days that you might have thought was not worth putting down. It's the only second chance you'll get.

Should you get called for an interview, it's you job to lose! If they call you, they have already gone through all the apps they received and pickled the best out of them all, best qualified, cleanest records etc, and it's at that point you can feel really proud of yourself. Of course, after you're done feeling all proud of getting that fat, you will get nervous about the interview and pre-trip/road test...but you'll soon realize its so worth the wait.

Good luck, let us know how it goes and if you have any questions. Read the thread started by 'drozzer69' entitled "Walmart here I come" for even more information, insight and real experiences. I just finished my orientation and start my training tomorrow, but he, and a few others, have been doing the job for a while now and can offer the best insight you could ask for. I gained a wealth of info from these guys. You will too.

P.S. What location did you apply to?

drozzer69 Thanks this.
  5. BFL123

BFL123 Light Load Member

May 27, 2012
    gaffney, sc
    Thanks for the reply, I have applied for the Monroe, GA location. I've read through all the threads by you guys and it is a wealth of info. Thanks for all the good information you guys post. How was the pre-trip inspection? I think I'd be more nervous about that than the road test. I'll be patiently awaitig a call and checking on here for current info. Thanks guys, congratulations and best of luck to you all.

6. NYVET

NYVET Medium Load Member

May 15, 2013
    Springville NY
    Just do a THOROUGH pre-trip! They ARE big on that, that's why they have one of the best, if not THE best, CSA scores in the industry. They want to keep it that way. You don't need to identify every part by name, you don't need to know what everything does or why it is there. I told the safety guy that did my pre trip that I was looking at that thing to make sure it was not cracked or loose, I'm looking at that wire bundle to make sure none are chafed or broken, etc. One thing they look at, that actually trips up a lot of people, is the dvir book, permit book, and the inspection date on the TRAILER (you will be doing a pre trip on both tractor and trailer). Just checked everything! Point to a bolt and say I am making sure that that is not loose or cracked. They don't care if you know what the bolt is attached to, that's what the mechanics are there for. But they definitely want you to be able to find that loose or cracked bolt or broken wire etc. Just be thorough. My safety guy actually told me to stop halfway through, he said it was obvious I knew how to do a pre trip. When you back your trailer into a spot, tell him that you know you should get out and look, but what does he want you to do. My safety guy said as long as I knew what he wanted me to do, I did not need to actually get out of the truck. Your guy could be different. But just find out what they want you to do and how they want you to do it and do it that way. As for the road test, do not run over a curb, a car or a pedestrian and you'll be good. Always use the three points of contact to enter and exit the truck, we actually had a guy get sent home for exiting the truck forward.

BFL123 Thanks this.
  7. drozzer69

drozzer69 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Spring, TX
    Also when raising and lowering the landing gear, three points as well. No two finger swing!

8. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    Oh yeah, I do it all the time but they go over that in every safety meeting........they don't like paying for teeth! lol

9. Brucesmith

Brucesmith Heavy Load Member

Jun 16, 2012
    I was in a rest area for a 24 hour stay(long story( and struck up a conversation with a WM driver. He had been there more than 15 years. He stated that indeed a new driver will make $70,000 plus the first year. The mileage pay is not what gives them the income. It is being paid for everything you do. He did state that things have changed and they are very fussy. One guy got fired for the 2 finger dolly handle swing. Another failed the pretrip as he did not turn on the wipers. Sounded to me that as long as you abide by WM procedures this is one of the best in the industry!

10. drozzer69

drozzer69 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Spring, TX
    Its all about safety here. Every safety manager at each location is different. Just do things the way they want you too and its all good. Wal~mart has a reputation to up hold. They have an excellent CSA score and plan on keeping it that way. I am on track for probably 80,000 my first year. Not too shabby if you ask me!

11. BFL123

BFL123 Light Load Member

May 27, 2012
    gaffney, sc
    Hi drozzer69, In your opinion, what gets someone an interview? Is a safe driving record the main thing? I imagine they frown on too many jobs, but would that disqualify someone or if they had a spotless record would that help to get an interview? From what it seems, if you can get to the interview and impress them, then you should be good to go. I put an application in and just wondering about if I'll get a call for an interview. Thanks for any help

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.