weight of gasoline and diesel

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by driver81, Apr 26, 2015.

1. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    And the gross and net is the price adjusted for API temp which is 62F or 25C. This is why the debate over temperature adjusted pumps rages on......we get screwed when fuels are above 62 and make out when below. ( Density =BTU content / gallon ) Unfortunately motor fuels are generally above 62F prior to purchase.

This equation generally means nothing to a guy that buys 1 tank of fuel a year but to a driver buying his own fuel ? 20,000 plus gallons a year? It's big.

Lemme really hurt your feelings, a gasoline piston engine is about 25% efficient, a diesel 35% so 65% of what you bought goes out the stack unused and wasted . No kidding.

Do the math....it bites....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    If you're buying a lot of fuel yeah it's been a problem. However, for the an every day person driving down the roads they don't use all that much diesel fuel compared to us in the our trucks. To make a matter of any kind. Then when it turns hot that's when the real problems will pop up. People will start to think the oil companies are out to get them again and the company is steeling money from them. The real problems are these idiots can not figure the density and temp does the work .. IIRC , wasn't it 76 using temp correcting pumps at the station? It can see how that would create a huge mess trying to explain to so of these drivers they get less fuel when the temp changes. I do believe that the company that had the fixing inside the pump would be the way I go.

4. Hanzerik

Hanzerik Light Load Member

Mar 30, 2011
    I usually figure gas at 6.2 and diesel at 7.2. But each loading rack is different, and the weights change as the seasons change. During the winter here, I can legally carry around 7450 gross, 7550 net out of say a really cold pipeline, but during the summer I can do 7650 gross, 7550 net out of the refineries. I try to keep my net around 7525 and 7550, as I'm within 93% or so of my legal weight of 80,000. I'm always scaling to see what the loads weight just to be safe since we have the scales in CO to deal with. I have reference scale tickets from each of the racks we load at to get a feel for how much I can load throughout the year.

5. Drake.r

Drake.r Light Load Member

May 15, 2015
    I read once that there are over 42 recipies for 87 across the country so that means there are that many different weights
    I would think that diesel ways different from east to west too
    Where I'm at gas is 10% eth year round and comes in at 6.4
    And diesel is non bio at 6.98

6. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Net gallons = gross gallons adjusted to 60°F.

Net is the only fair way to price fuel, which is why net is used in the supply chain. Retailers should be selling to the public using temperature-compensating dispensers, but since they don't, I fuel up early in the morning.

7. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    what a surprise, we are in page 3 now, and you still getting different answers.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.