Weight on bill says different than scale

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by HwyDragon, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Dominick253

Dominick253 Heavy Load Member

Nov 19, 2015
    Yeah my company has scales on most trailers. With your drive air gauge I can get it spot on.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Obviously, the shipper OP picked up from is crooked as can be, and this is a textbook example of why it's a good idea to have a scale ticket of your empty truck.

If he got popped at a scale for this, than the shipper should be sued for the amount of the fine for falsifying a BOL, as that would make it easy to prove.

bottomdumpin and HwyDragon Thank this.
  4. zinita17601

zinita17601 Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2010
    lancaster pa
    Ur truck,ur problem

5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    ....Their alleged "35000" lbs of product that's actually closer to 50000.

If anything happened, at the very least the shipper would be a party to it because a BOL is a legally binding document.

ExOTR and HwyDragon Thank this.
  6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    That would only PARTIALLY work, in theory. Maybe.

How many shippers load flatbeds with a guess as to the weight of the load. For instance. Material and equipment out in the fields. With no scales. IF they even bother writing down the weights.

7. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    But the shipper had a weight on the BOL, that would make a difference than not having a weight on the BOL.
    Most my loads "out in the field" are fairly accurate. Closer than the lumber loads at the warehouse. It seems they always weight more than what is stated on the BOL. I only do a hand full of lumber loads a year and I try real hard not to do that many.

8. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Last week I found out my truck&wagon weigh right at 57k my......loaded 33k(on bills)....felt a lil stout.....nicely said my air gauges think yalls weights off just a tad.....no way I'm told....k I'll go scale Mr Shipping Mgr extroidinare..
    Yellow ticket please.....and the cat said 89.7k,....he asks ifn.....I'm wantin some off....up to you.....why will you take it....no.....but if you won't take it off....I'll jus run couple 10k straps round back 4 pallets.....and ratchet em to that fancy Chevy hi country over there&pull up....then u can deal w/mess and I'll change the piece count on the bills....no charge.......;)

9. Anonymousproxy

Anonymousproxy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2015
    As a rule I don't fully trust what any shipper puts on the bills for weight, a lot of them these days can't be bothered to include the pallet weight in the gross. The first thing I do after I get loaded is head to the nearest cat scale or someplace similar to weigh it.

10. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Yeah, I can tell right away if there is an issue with the air scale on my truck. If it is questionable, I do an actual scale as soon as possible, if nothing else than to actually get things axled right.

11. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Hmmm.....Chambersburg Pa--to TA Greencastle Pa--about 12 miles south down 81---

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.