Western express equipment

Discussion in 'Western Express' started by Commuter69, Nov 23, 2015.

1. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    If that's factoring into your decision making you're off on the wrong foot.

skellr, Blackshack46 and TB John Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. iceman32

iceman32 Medium Load Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Exactly. I lived in CA and had a trucking opportunity in Alaska. I got my CDL there along with my triple endorsement. Truth is, I was a student for 11 freaking months =p. I never complained about the amount of things I had to learn. I wish I could have bought the truck before the company went out of business. Alaskan trucks also got front wheel power, these bad boys were powerful!

4. AsphaltNinja

AsphaltNinja Bobtail Member

Dec 10, 2015
    Virginia
    How about this for a reference for WE. I am an inexperienced driver (only 3 months OTR team experience) and was looking for a good company to pay my dues with so I could make a top tier company in the future. I've done a lot of research on many companies and pretty much all companies that hire new drivers all have a lot of negative aspects and are bottom rung prospects. However; this is my actual experience with Western Express which thankfully ended today.

Two weeks ago I left my former employer because my wife (we were teaming) injured her back and my employer wanted to force me into another team until she came back to work. I didn't see a point in teaming up with a stranger for just a couple of weeks, so I just wanted to run solo until she came back. They wouldn't allow it. It was a personal choice. Others maybe wouldn't have made the same one. We also as a team were only getting 2500 miles per week, so the choice was even easier.

Anyway, I contacted WE and filled out an application. My recruiter (I will leave her name out of the post not out of respect, but out of professionalism) was EXTREMELY supportive and seemed to be really looking to make me happy. I asked for a solo OTR position with the possibility of switching back to team when my wife heals and she said no problem. Here are the things I asked for:

1. No forced dispatch to NYC.
    2. An automatic (I later compromised on this issue and was ok with a manual if they didn't have one.)
    3. To be allowed to make the determination if the road conditions were unsafe that I could park my truck and call my driver manager to inform them of my decision.
    4. At least 2000 miles per week solo.

That's it. I didn't ask for special home time. I didn't ask for high pay, I didn't ask for excessive miles or a distinct territory. Nothing. I know I'm a rookie. I'm also a veteran and have no problem working hard to pay my dues. I drive safe but I still make my deliveries on time. I didn't think these were a big deal.

I was promised all of these but #3 ( I asked her about that the day I decided not to go with WE). In fact, she called me and said " I have a great position for you until your wife comes aboard". We have a new "home every weekend" position that has just been started. You will run from the NC/VA line up I-95 to Allentown, PA with NO NYC! I was ecstatic! Could I have just found a recruiter and a company that was looking out for me? I immediately said "sign me up". She scheduled my orientation in Nazareth, PA for that Sunday but I was supposed to stay in the hotel Saturday night. I don't do buses, so they offered to pay for my fuel to drive. That Saturday, my wife and I drove to Nazareth only to find out there was no hotel room registered for me. I called the number that the hotel clerk gave me but got a voicemail. We drove the 5 hours back home. Even with that I still gave them another shot!

On Monday, she called me and apologized up and down that it was her mistake. "By the way", she said, we can't guarantee you an auto (she previously told me she could). I said "okay, I can drive a manual." "I'll make it work." Well, the good news is you won't have to drive through DC or Baltimore because I was wrong about the territory. You will be driving the southeast and up through Virginia and the Ohio valley. I said, "oh, okay" then the auto won't be as big of a deal (less traffic). Today she calls me and says "I have to apologize again, the territory you drive will be from Virginia to upstate NY and west through Ohio including DC and Baltimore on the I-95 corridor." Really? Three changes in as many days?

As a reminder, I never asked for that "so called" regional position. She OFFERED it to me!

I then asked about PrePass. She said nope (I later found out why-I heard they can't get PrePass due to their safety record). So then as I had seen the writing on the wall I asked the all important safety question. "If I deem the road conditions unsafe, can I park the truck until the storm passes or will I be forced to drive in unsafe conditions?" I have been told by many a veteran truck driver that if you need chains, you shouldn't be driving. Here was her ACTUAL reply:

"We do use chains. However if we deem the storm or conditions unsafe, we will not require you to drive."

To which I responded. "This is probably going to be a deal breaker for me. I don't do chains and I can't logically allow someone behind a desk to determine whether or not the road conditions are unsafe. I'm the driver and its my safety record."

To which she finally revealed her and WE true colors:

"You will be required to use chains if you wish to make your miles. I have been more than patient. I don’t know what else I can do for you except wish you luck with finding a company that can meet all of your needs. I have done everything I can to satisfy them but every other day there is a new one that needs to be met and I am sorry that Western cannot do that. I have jumped through all of the hoops I can to get you here and have inconvenienced a lot of people to do so. I wish you the best of luck. If you have any other questions you may contact my supervisor."

You decide if WE is right for you!

Lightside Thanks this.
  5. iceman32

iceman32 Medium Load Member

Sep 26, 2014

6. Lightside

Lightside Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Well don't all trucking companies require you to chain?? I am confused because I'm pretty sure they want any trucker to chain in bad weather conditions. Though I am completely in agreement with the fact we are the drivers and we know when it's best and safe to drive. What companies give that much freedom to a driver?

7. damutt

damutt Road Train Member

May 6, 2013
    I work for one of those. I don't and will not chain.
    Small company less than 30 trucks

mxpx148 Thanks this.
  8. Crazytrucker77

Crazytrucker77 Heavy Load Member

Nov 23, 2014
    Grants Pass, OR

There are several companies that will give the driver the freedom to make the decision about the roads and rather to chain or not. My policy is to protect my CDL at all costs. If a situation presents itself where me and a company are at odds I will document it with photos and deal with it accordingly. There are way to many driving jobs out there to put up with one being unrealistic and unsafe.

I just left James H Clark and son's out of Salt lake due to not enough miles for me with my hometime I was getting. I was averaging around 1800 - 1900 a week and home every 3 or 4 weeks. There a good company that always puts safety first and would be a good company to get started back up with. I have a thread of my experience with them.

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/truckingindustryforum/threads/a-good-trucking-company.294701/

Lightside Thanks this.
  9. TampaTony

TampaTony Medium Load Member

Dec 13, 2015
    Running with chains is perfectly safe. If your company says you can sit it out then good for you. I would rather get out of the truck and get some exercise and fresh air while putting on some three railers. The only thing that will shut me down is visibility and road closers.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  10. Crazytrucker77

Crazytrucker77 Heavy Load Member

Nov 23, 2014
    Grants Pass, OR

I'm with ya on chaining up, don't make much sitting.

11. SnoFox

SnoFox Light Load Member

Jan 2, 2008
    Maine
    I'm a local driver for WE up here in Maine. Where have you heard or seen they lost Hollis? I haven't heard or seen anything about this.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.