What you use instead of MS streets and trips?

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Skyfall, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Skyfall

Skyfall Bobtail Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I had many GPS'es like garmin mcnally and copilot in my tablet, but1 thing that was always with me is MS Strrets and Trips. As you know the last version was in 2013, and then I was searching for something else but still cant find perfect alternative. Mybe someone can share their experience in that field. Thanks for answer and sorry if similar topic exist already.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Spreadneck

Spreadneck Light Load Member

Jul 31, 2015
  4. Straight Stacks

Straight Stacks Paper Cha$er

Jul 18, 2015
    Alabama Gulf Coast
  5. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    For most of the trip, my memory. Been out here 20+ years. For the specific location, Google Maps. If Google Maps doesn't have the location because of outdated satellite pic's, I call the customer and give them the direction I will be coming from and ask the most truck friendly way in. Some of my company's customers are farmers, who own more than 1 location, so actually talking to them is a must, so the right product gets to the proper location.

6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    i've never had a need for anything other then copilot. and an occasional google.

but if you insist on having it. maps come with windows 10. you just gotta download. and it's almost 5 gigs.

88 Alpha Thanks this.
  7. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    I am another CoPilot user. Yes, I have an atlas. It has a published date of 2006 on it. Have not felt a real need to purchase a new one. Of course, I have run the same customers and same routes for the last 9 years, so that helps. If I ever change jobs and run a different area, I may feel it a necessity to get another atlas.

8. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Rather new here, so my input may not carry the weight of others here, but I am looking at a combination of Maps and Apps.

I am not currently using a stand alone GPS unit, so for an official truckers route, I will be starting with CoPilot for iOS, although I am not thrilled with their User Interface, Speed, or POI search. If I need to jump to another map, Apple Maps (or Google Maps) work well for non trucking information and site overview.

Still finding lots of Apps to use for all kinds of information... Truckers Path has lots of TS, Dealers, rest areas, and parking lots... Then all the Apps from the TS have different kinds on info available... And many other Apps I am sure too.

I, personally, like the above setup because it all resides within my Apple oriented environment and can work on any/all of our iPads and iPhones should one fail.

And of course one can always fall back onto a good atlas too.

Stay Safe,
    MD

9. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    I did use MS Streets & Trips at a different non truck related job and can see why it has been used by so many here in the trucking industry... A real shame it hasn't been upgraded and supported more or added truck specific data to it... Oh well, another loss, so goes life I guess.

10. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    What are you looking for primarily? You just want to "trip plan" on the computer? Print route overviews?

What is it about MS S&T's that you like? Google maps is hard to beat. It's free, fast, always up to date, easily shows alternate routes, instant current satellite views, etc, etc. Of course it's not truck smart, but neither was MS S&T, and it requires decent net connection

Plus Google implements a traffic overlay, and is Android and IOS friendly (very smart apps)

11. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    With all the availabe apps for trucking. I don't even see why poi"s would be an issue with copilot. It's cheaper for reason but it works darn good. Who cares about poi's. Apps are free.

88 Alpha Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.