When will oil prices go back up

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by Luke628, Feb 7, 2016.

1. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    That won't really matter if they can buy cheap overseas oil. the down side is alot of companies will go bankrupt resulting in more unemployment.

Luke628 Thanks this.
  4. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    more taxes

5. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL
    Just out of curiosity, why do you guys want it to go back up?

6. Jran11

Jran11 Light Load Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Mccamey, TX
    It benefits everyone for oil to go back up. Look around as oil drops, so dies economy. Cheaper fuel doesn't equal higher profit. You are paying less in fuel, but it's for hauling cheaper freight. My best years as O/O was when fuel was around 4-5.00. Rates were high, s/c through the roof and freight was every where you looked. There's no difference between 1.75 a for a gallon of gas with no job and 3.50 gas with a job.

Red379, rabbiporkchop, chalupa and 2 others Thank this.
  7. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    I often hear and read many theories and explanations, but never with links to fact based articles or opinions on the subject.

I used to think there was a dial on the wall in an office somewhere that someone just turned up and down, depending on their mood that day.

mhyn and cnsper Thank this.
  8. Arky

Arky Heavy Load Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Americans consume a LOT of energy. The cheaper that energy is, the more they have to spend on other things. I firmly believe that low oil prices are good for the economy. I too made good money as an o/o when fudl was $4+. But, it didn't last long did it? As soon as all of the spendable income was sucked out of the avg Americans pocket via the gas pump, the economy tanked and we are still dealing with the fallout.

The only people wishing for higher oil prices are the ones who want to profit from it. Everyone else loves cheap oil. Sorry guys, but you are out numbered and the good of the country far outweighs the benefit of a few rednecks being able to strut around in a $75k pickup playing big shot.

As far as the $10/barrel tax. I do wish they would do a $10/barrel..or more tarrif on foreign oil. I would also agree with it if every penny of that $10 was spent on infrastructure to encourage the transition to cleaner fuels ie: natural gas.

As for when is the price of oil going back up?

1. When the demand for oil outpaces the supply. This is the only true and sustainable price increase.
    2. When, for whatever reason, someone can convince the traders that there is a supply disruption brewing somewhere. This is only sustainable if it comes to fruition.
    3. Influence by the government or other controlling interests. Again, nothing works unless it effects supply..or demand.

Supply vs demand. Its what markets are made of. It sets the prices. As long as the oil is flowing and the storage tanks are full, its going to be cheap.

9. Ben Gunn

Ben Gunn Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Forgotten Coast
    Uhhh, because we work in the oil fields and like to provide for our families. Did you fail to notice this is the oilfield forum?

10. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL
    Nah, didn't notice that actually. Good luck though

FLYMIKEXL, rachi and Ben Gunn Thank this.
  11. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Actually you got it backwards. As oil price goes up, the economy slows down. Which then causes oil to go down due to lower demand. As the economy rebounds and more goods are produced and transported, demand for oil goes up, resulting in oil prices climbing. Rinse and repeat.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
    northstarfire0693 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.