Why a truck driver?

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Paul Geanta, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Paul Geanta

Paul Geanta Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2015
    Honestly! Why? I see you all new guys in the company of a Swift or CRST instructor! trying to back up in a dock with 25 feets in front of you and 7 on each side of the trailer!

Then the "instructor" gets out of the truck and starts directing you! he/she makes signs to the left, to the right, then to the left then to the right...... At some point an older truck driver but not old enough comes to help.....He explains to the teacher how he would do it and the "teacher" agrees (probably the instructors has 5 or 6 years less experience than the "helper").... Finally the dog yard gets into the conversation and the trailer is dropped and he backs it into the spot.......

So honestly! why did you become a truck driver and how do you keep the highways safe?

Everyone had to start somewhere..... but the start these days.................

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    It's no different now than in the old days; just more drivers and trucks and traffic.

4. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL
    I was promised loads of money and truck stops full of beautiful women that idolized truck drivers, like the buckle bunnies of the rodeo.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    Original Bender and Dreamboat Thank this.
  5. Original Bender

Original Bender Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2015
    So, Paul, I see you started off backing up perfect right? Never had to learn anything huh...... I would never hire you.

6. dog-c

dog-c Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    New York, NY
    Paul, your question is weird. Backing is the most challenging aspect of this profession.
    Most of us do it to get away from the nagging shrus; wife, gf, and just want to be left alone.,very isolating life but sometimes rewarding where you least expect it.

7. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Many times backing is an acquired skill that takes some longer than others, especially if the instructor is teaching incorrectly. Then the student has to unlearn the bad and re-learn the right way. The easiest way is to find a wide open section of parking lot and practice. Making mistakes when there is only lines on the pavement to hit is easier to learn from rather than learning from hitting another drivers truck.

As for the original question...some do it out of necessity, others are following in a family members footsteps, while others are following a desire for what the job offers, and I am not just talking about a better paycheck then what a 9 to 5'er makes.

In some ways, today's newbie drivers have it harder than we did. Oh sure, today's trucks are Cadillacs compared to the stuff many of us had to endure, but look at the increased pressure for JIT deliveries, excessive traffic, crowded truck stops...and let us not forget the ever increasing number of tougher regulations that Uncle DOT keeps piling on.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.