Why do truckers (or companies) really need brokers, & what could be done to limit the use of them?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by David Schwarz, Jan 24, 2016.

1. David Schwarz

David Schwarz Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Indiana
    Look, I'm a loving guy honestly, but I taste too much resentment in the air within the owning game, and most of it seems to be broker related. I want you folks (brokers) to have a job honestly, and I've heard that the average broker makes well over 100k per year. I lease a truck for CRST Malone, and have been doing so since last October. My average paycheck to the truck in the time I've operated here is $470/week right now. Out of this I'm not including tolls I've paid, scales, work clothes, securement equipment, and more. I've worked as hard as what is available would allow me to, and They told me I'd be allowed to use load boards. I'm currently pulling a load for UTI. I'm at a rest area, I picked up in scottsbluff, NE and I'm delivering in Modesto, CA in the morning. I have raw cow hides on my trailer that I've secured and tarped. This load pays 1.28/ mile. When I seen it on 123loadboard, it said it pays 1.66/ mile and I'm confused why the rate is different when I called? Does this power over drivers encourage malice in your heart? I see someone that has to be laughing on the other end about how the world offers them the power to subordinate people to such a low level. What does a broker make on something like this? I'm not even breaking even with what I brought home with a 40hr a week local job right now. I mean, what gives? What is your position in this world and how does these things truly and honestly make you feel? Lastly, why is the trucking industry still giving you a cut at all? It's clear that none of us can afford you anymore, so what can be done to get around your cut on this stuff? What can be done to keep your cut in but make drivers at least unsubjected to subordination?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Hauling a load that needs to be tarped for $1.28 / mile is insane.

4. David Schwarz

Dec 16, 2015
    Indiana
    That's all I could find in from greeley,CO. Its that or sit. I called people a day in advance, I checked the load board plenty, I communicated with my dispatcher, this has been going on for a few months. Same old, same old. I'm just being subordinated, abs working hard for nothing to boot.

5. HalpinUout

Oct 2, 2011
    Where in Indiana are you located?

6. David Schwarz

Dec 16, 2015
    Indiana
    Fort Wayne

7. HalpinUout

Oct 2, 2011
    Why not try and get on with an LTL company? $470 a week is crazy

8. kelgar50

kelgar50 Medium Load Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Bakersfield,CA
    You went to a dead spot.
    You never go into a dead spot without making sure your load pays enough to get you back out. Cali is not going to be much better right now. I suggest you start looking at your running areas.
    And really $1.28 and tarped? Do you know what your break even point is?

Pork Chop Express Thanks this.
  9. David Schwarz

Dec 16, 2015
    Indiana
    About 80cpm at 2500 miles per week is where I'll break even at current fuel prices. But im not even getting 2000 miles per week. As far as ruining area, when I'm in the better running area, CRST is the one who subordinates me, I get the shortest haul, and the best loads go to drivers who have probably been with the company longer, because they are all running that area (and CRST has contacts with those customers and must force bad crap on some drivers). So it's really a lose/ lose situation. I'm going to quit as soon as I have enough money in my fuel account to cover any debt they might place in me. However, the load board shouldn't be such a bad thing. 1.66/ mile would have been great. I'm fine with that, it would at least bring me to about what I made when I was a company driver. They must need subservient drivers to work for them, but that's not a good businesses plan. A subservient driver would most likely be a poor operator for heavy machinery.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  10. Flipflops

Flipflops Heavy Load Member

Oct 18, 2015
    Why don't you use better load boards such as DAT or even ITS? There is plenty of 1.80/mile work if that's what you're after. But you can always get more if you know what you're looking for. Also the area that you are running is currently not the best freight area at the moment. Are you and owner operator or are you at a lease deal with CRST? Sounds to me like if you own the truck you better get out of there ASAP and you'll be better at companies like Landstar, Mercer, F2F, and so on. At least they try to guide you onto what's profitable for you and you have more options to work with.

11. David Schwarz

Dec 16, 2015
    Indiana
    Its a lease, but yeah 1.80 is plenty good. I figured about 1.50 @ 2500 mimes per week would bring me $1,200ish and if there is plenty of work like that, I'm totally good for it. Wind, rain, ice, snow, I can do it... I no longer care what part of the country I run, just need to at least get my income up high enough to where at least my per deim and write offs are above 0, which right now, they honestly aren't. I can literally show making less than 0 LEGALLY, and that is really counter productive. If you are going to run me so that I don't have to pay taxes, at least bring it to the most I can make without having to pay taxes geesh

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.