Wifi on the road....

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Ztrucker, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Ztrucker

Ztrucker Bobtail Member

Mar 11, 2016
    What are some mobile hotspots that is good to have while out in truck? I have a Straight talk zte mobile hotspot while it's good at maintaining internet it is a data hog, sometimes I randomly experience is huge loss of data and I haven't even did nothing yet.

I'm ready to get rid of it... any suggestions?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. free spirited1

free spirited1 Heavy Load Member

Mar 18, 2012
    USA
    I've been down the whole road with Straight Talk for like 10 years. Recently I've switched my phone to a S4 Verizon, and use Verizon no contract, I use the $60.00 phone plan, yeah it's $15.00 more a month, but it's way worth it, can also tether with it to your laptop, also your not forced to go to Walmart like Straight Talk makes you do for refill, you can buy the refill card at most truck stops, and most large stores, etc, or use your credit card, etc. I personally wished I would have switched a while back. Better signal, better options (I couldn't tether with Straight Talk ), I like it much better driver. You can get a $45.00 card with Verizon, but you get less data, I believe it's 3 GB, it's 5GB with the $60.00 card which works best for me. Hope this helps ya driver, have a safe one.

4. Ztrucker

Ztrucker Bobtail Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Will look into it, thanks for the speedy response!

5. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    The $45.00 Verizon pre-paid plan gives you Unlimited Talk & Text and ONE gig of Data. If you set up your payments to come directly out of your checking or savings account each month, they reward you with an extra gig (2 gigs total). I have had this plan for nearly two years now, and it works for me...because I only check emails and browse the internet occasionally. Not sure how much videos and streaming and the like drain data gigs because I don't do it, and never run out.
    I have a Samsung Galaxy Legend (3G) I bought new off Amazon for $35.00, and it does everything I need.

free spirited1 Thanks this.
  6. free spirited1

free spirited1 Heavy Load Member

Mar 18, 2012
    USA
    Yes that's true White...I really like my phone and my plan, you can even add data only if you run out. But I'm a casual user and 5 GB is more then enough for me.

7. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    You don't have to go to Walmart. Personally I love it with my IPhone on the $55 for 10 gigs. I have auto refill through the straight talk app. I have no issues with it.

8. Ztrucker

Ztrucker Bobtail Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Wait so you have hotspot tethering with your straight talk phone?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.