‘65 Ford H series cab over

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by jazzedman, Apr 24, 2020.

1. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    If you can take a pic of exactly what you are asking about so we can win this battle for you. Besides we all love pictures of old trucks and stuff that makes them tick.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jazzedman

jazzedman Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2019
    Won’t be till Monday, but yeah. I’ve been thinking, they may have used them so they could pack the rear bearings without the diff oil interfering‍♂️

jamespmack Thanks this.
  4. SmallPackage

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    is it an actual drive axle with the axle end flange bolted to the hub like normal or is it a pusher type dead axle(not driven by driveshaft) to make it a tandem?
    Is it a single or tandem?
    Is it on all the axle ends?

5. SmallPackage

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    By chance could it be what’s left of an old hubometer and/ or its mounting bracket?

6. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Some of the Jap jobs do that. Have an oil seal in the end of the axle housing to the axle shaft. The bearings are packed in grease. Do not recall that in a Ford.
    If you can find a oil seal the fits in the hub to axle location I would prefer that and run them in oil as SmallPackage mentioned. Through that axle shaft seal away.

jamespmack and SmallPackage Thank this.
  7. SmallPackage

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Good thought.
    I wouldn't think Ford of that vintage would of done that unless maybe if it was a Brazilian built Ford. Could be someone swapped in a foriegn chassis over the years. ‘65 to now is a lot of years to have time to do strange things.

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  8. rolls canardly

rolls canardly Road Train Member

Feb 7, 2009
    mt. pocono. pa.
    Wow, I said wow right out loud.
    I'm 67 and never saw one of these.
    Beautiful.
    No plastic on that front end.

9. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    They were called "2 story Falcons", because the Ford Falcon Econoline ( yep, it was a Falcon for the 1st few years) was introduced at the same time, hence, the 2 story Falcon.

clausland and SmallPackage Thank this.
  10. rolls canardly

rolls canardly Road Train Member

Feb 7, 2009
    mt. pocono. pa.
    Man oh man,
    I'm a believer.
    I just can't believe I never saw one of these before??
    I'm from then, (the past,) out and about all the time then, and now,
    always an odd vehicle fanatic, I'm always at truck shows and such all over the Northeast, Was the engine in them any good, like any power; and which one was it?

11. SmallPackage

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    They are about 5 years before my time.
    In farm country i’ve witnessed a couple still in use and a few sitting in the weeds. This was after they were already around 25-30 years old and very well worn. Never saw one doing it’s thing when it was shiney and new. Been told that back then they sold decent but not in real high numbers but non the less they were around enough to see a handful every day.
    There are some really nice ones popping up at truck shows from time to time that attract a lot of attention.

I used to have a post card from the early ‘80’s of the famous “cheese” Ford H that was on display up in Wisconsin somewhere in my picture collection. It was a red tractor- reefer trailer combo restored. 22inch polished Alcoa’s all the way around. Gorgeous!

clausland Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.