‘88 White GMC - Fuel Gauge Empty When Key On, Works When Key Off?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Airman89, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Airman89

Airman89 Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2015
    Anyone have a clue what caused this? I’m sure it’s common but I can’t pull anything up on google. When I turn the key on the gauge is pegged empty but when the key is off it reads proper fuel level.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    That is not common. In 88 did they not still have individual gauges not the intergrated board? How long have you had it and what has been done to it lately? Sounds like some wires are crossed up.
    I have wiring diagrams for some of those but I thank they are newer than yours.
    Need more info and or pictures.

Airman89 and spsauerland Thank this.
  4. Airman89

Jul 8, 2015
    Yes it still has individual clusters. I pulled the dash out and it does look like they are conjoined with other gauges/wires through connectors.

I’ve only had it about 2-3 weeks now and I haven’t done anything to it yet. I’m just now getting around to fixing it up.

There are 2 wires on the tank for the sensor. I can take a picture or two if that will help.

Thank you!

5. Airman89

Jul 8, 2015
    The tachometer doesn’t work either by the way. The needle bumps up with key on but it never reads anything and the speedometer fluctuates about 10mph when cruising the freeway. Any suggestions on my problems is greatly appreciated! Be never worked on something this old or a 3406b. My only other truck was a 99 Kenworth 10 speed with a c12.

6. Airman89

Jul 8, 2015
    Got the tachometer fixed. It was a build up on the magnet and they had it turned out about an inch from the flywheel. Still messing with the fuel gauge but I’m not having any luck.

7. Airman89

Jul 8, 2015
    Should I try switching some wires around at the gauge? I switched the wires at the fuel tank and the gauge shot up to full, so I switched it back and it went back to 1/4 which is where my fuel level is.

8. Airman89

Jul 8, 2015
    [​IMG] Middle gauge is the fuel gauge . Is there support to be 3 wires connected to the ground terminal?? This set up is very weird. Too many wires for a 2-wire unit?

9. Airman89

Jul 8, 2015
    I just jumped “S” terminal to ground terminal and turned key on, it read full, so I assume gauge is ok.

10. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Jumping wires can become expensive! You are probably safe so far. Sounds like your gauge is OK and at least the sensor wire to the tank has a good circuit.
    Those are good old fashioned independent gauges. The extra wires on the gauge is where they used the stud as a junction for other things. As to supply power to other gauges.
    If you connect the two wires on the fuel tank to an old fashioned test light what does the gauge read? I thank you are looking for about a 1/2 tank but some brand trucks registered different. Thank you are still looking or 1/4 through 3/4 in any brand.
    Can you run your arm in with the fuel cap removed and reach the float? What does it read when moved. You way have to take the sender out in order to test it but it sounds like a bad sender.

Airman89 Thanks this.
  11. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Of what I know about those gauges there are generally three wires that run them.

One is the power wire when the key is turned on, one is a ground wire, and the other is from the sender.

Just as a basic check, I would check the power wire to see if it energizes when you turn the key switch on.

Once you know which one is the power wire you can put your own 12 volts to it if you need to and see if the gauge works.

Also the two wires at the sending unit, one of them should be ground and one of them should run up to the gauge. Make sure your power wires are correct and your ground wires are correct and grounded properly.

@BoxCarKidd gave very good advice.

Airman89 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.