“Contractor vs Employee”

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by retardo, Aug 23, 2018.

1. retardo

retardo Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2010
    So yesterday, I was told that as long as my door says “XYZ Transport”, I was going to do what I was told. I argued the fact that I was a contractor and nothing in my lease agreement states hat I must follow company policy, us drivers are curious as to what rights we have? I’m paid 1099, own my truck but pulling their trailer. Anybody else ever been in a situation like this?

...not a troll...we got a meeting tomorrow and curious how we should all handle it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TheyCallMeDave

TheyCallMeDave Heavy Load Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Tejas
    So I'm assuming your leasing you truck from said company, and pulling their trailer? (Lease purchase?)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  4. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Find a better place to sign the truck on.

5. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Are you running on their authority? Probably comes down to what is spelled out in the contract you signed.

6. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    It is a delicate balance. True, as an independent contractor you have the right to refuse loads, complete the service how you see fit and such. If their name and DOT number is on your truck though, you also must fully qualify and comply with their company policies.

The FMCSA does not look at your truck, or you the driver, as any different than if you were an employee of XYZ and they owned the truck. They are legally liable for you and therefore can compel you to comply with their safety policies. This does not interfere with the independent contractor nature of your business agreement.

7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Legally they cannot force you to follow company policy. Two points though.
    1. You may be in breach of contract, and they could hold your settlement to pay any fines specified in the contract.
    2. Is bucking them on the issue worth them simply saying ”Sorry we don't require your services anymore."

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  8. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    I got a friend that is leased onto USA right now and they have bucked against the company so bad that USA has taken their loads away from them and is fixing to terminate their contract... all because of rants and raving. Bottom line dont like their rules get your own authority and make your own.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Well a thought or three.

You are neither a 1099 or could be an employee.

YOU are a contracted owner and you are to be paid as one.

You can choose to play their game the way they want it played or leave.

I would leave.

Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  10. AVL

AVL Bobtail Member

Jun 30, 2018
    Unless their dispatch suck, they are giving you a load that’s probably most beneficial for you at the time. When I’m dispatching, I wouldn’t book something that I wouldn’t do myself and I’m very picky. So if dispatch isn’t good, leave

11. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    You contract with them to haul their loads. They depend on you to do so. If you cherry pick your loads too many times, why do they want you ? It's a business, right ?

12. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    The opposite is also true. If they are offering up low paying loads. That’s why I left the last carrier. They brought in new management that wanted to run o/o like company trucks. I’m in it for max revenue not to keep customers happy.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.