“The brokers make too much”

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Long FLD, Apr 24, 2020.

1. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    Most brokers require signing a contract that prohibits double brokerage. So it would be a tort (cival offense) as opposed to a criminal offense.

650cat425 and singlescrewshaker Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Convoy and Uber have some of the cheapest freight out there. Water,beer,insulation etc.
    Just because you know what the load pays doesn’t guarantee that the broker is going to give up a bigger cut.
    There are times when a broker takes a loss on a load. How would your system work in that case?

650cat425 Thanks this.
  4. Cinderella Man

Cinderella Man Bobtail Member

Nov 12, 2018
    Alabama
    How much more money would you be making if the rates didn't suck the majority of the time? That drop deck #### sure wouldn't be sitting in the yard collecting dust if you had excellent rates 24/7/365.

I haven't used a broker since 2006. I've got my own contracts and never have to worry about the broker screwed me topic but this is a problem for a good number of people in this business. Rates being cut more than an emo chicks thighs by brokers and megas.

I'm not safe because at anytime my deal comes up to renew. Some broker or some big fleet can come in and snatch it from under my feet. Yeah i'm on time and do all the right things but at the end of the day. Somebody may step in control of the contracts and say "we can get this done a lot cheaper using brand x and charge the same price for our product if not more".

Brokers have little overhead and have a #### ton of loads. Megas don't even care about the rates anymore because they make their money from LP and resale of their equipment. All the while the driver pays all expenses.

So congratulations to everyone that has it to where they can just sit until the perfect load comes across. You did things right and planned for the right to do so but not everyone that takes these loads have it like that at this moment nor are they all idiots. You don't just start up in this game with the perfect situation unless you had help.

Should the government step in and put a cap on things? I doubt they have the time with all their time being spent on screwing the guys who operate the trucks moving the freight. Regulating us to death unless there is a pandemic blowing across the country. Then it's ok to run how you need to.

5. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    debtsperate times call for debtsperate measures.

Brandonpdx, tommymonza and 650cat425 Thank this.
  6. PSM379

PSM379 Heavy Load Member

Apr 19, 2019
    That is awesome you have your own deal and don’t need to deal with brokers. I hope it lasts forever for you. I don’t have that kind of deal. I been at it 7 years on my own. Started with nothing. So I know how it is to not have a cushion under me and have to work. I also started lean though and never had a truck note. I’m sorry if a guy goes out finances a truck and trailer and thinks the spot market will pay his bills, he is a idiot. No game plan, no knowledge of the business at all. I’ve had direct customers and I’ve done a lot of spot market freight. Pros and cons to all. Don’t want to argue, look around tho I’d say 3/4 of the people that are “owner operators” shouldn’t own a truck. I do different things to stay rolling, I’m not saying every load should pay $5+ a mile. If a guy takes a load paying less then what his cost per mile is and then dead heads or takes a even cheaper load to reposition I think it’s time for them to rethink what they are doing in this business.

7. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Thank you. Had the same thoughts in my head after reading some of the threads on this site the last couple days

8. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Well I'm sure some of you will disagree with this but here's how I see it.

The rates that are paid to the broker should be public. This should be completely transparent so that all parties see what is involved. Also double brokering should be some kind of serious offense like the broker gets his license suspended or something like that.

If there were no double brokering generally the rates would be higher.

If the rates that the broker were paid were transparent, including detention, the free market would still dictate the rate.

What would happen is a broker would say no I'm not going to make 1% on the load. Another broker would say well I'm not going to make 5%. Another broker would say well I'm OK if I make 10%. Another broker would say well I really want to make 15%.

Eventually it would all find the it's own level within the free market and The brokers would battle against each other for who's going to pay the Carrier the most and who's willing to make the least.

And then the broker would have to provide better service. So for example maybe he could get a little bit of a higher percentage if the Carrier knows hes going to pay within a few days. Or if he has an outstanding credit score. Or if is he has many of the same types of runs the Carrier does etc etc.

There would still be plenty of Room for the brokerages to make money, But the fair market would control it.

As it is, it is too rigged on the broker side.

650cat425 and TheLoadOut Thank this.
  9. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    I've known people that say any load that requires a backup to be profitable is too cheap, don't know about anybody else but I don't know many people claiming 4 to 5 a loaded mile on all loads.

bryan21384 and 650cat425 Thank this.
  10. MTN Boomer

MTN Boomer Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2019
    Everything the government regulates goes to hell

11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Just remember that those who wish for something like this may end up crying when that start handing out more stupid regulations that limit their profit,

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.