0 to 60 mph Times

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by DKTKD, Nov 7, 2006.

1. The New Yorker

The New Yorker Light Load Member

Dec 9, 2005
    ZOO York
    Chair = 6.5 LBS
    Person = 150.0 LBS
    Balloon Displacement = Poundless

I have now idea even to guess that, use the standerd party balloon.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DanJ

DanJ Light Load Member

Oct 10, 2006
    Just for kicks I timed it yesterday. Now, our trucks have small engines, about 330hp, with 10 speed trans. Pulling the empty, I went 0-50mph in 26 seconds. Coming home with a load, not sure of weight, but we typically only gross in the 55k range, I did 0-50 in about 45 seconds. This is maximum effort, and not how I would typically start off. I would have timed the 0-60, but the road I was on, a 50 limit even though traffic moves a lot faster generally, has lights and I had to slow down soon after reaching 50.

I remember several years ago, the scales closed just as I approached. The guy on the scale in his big ole Pete called to his buddy, who was passing me at the time, that he would be up with him in a minute. I went by the guy on the scale at 68, while he was still stationary, and he blew by me within 2 miles. His acceleration was helped by the fact the scale is on top of a big hill (Putnam, exit 208 on the 401 in Ontario, for those familiar), but that was still rather impressive.

4. The New Yorker

Dec 9, 2005
    ZOO York
    Hysterical never underestimate the power of Pete’s,

5. DKTKD

DKTKD Bobtail Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Thanks DanJ, you rock.

THY-
    Let's assume 200lbs to account for the weights of the balloon.
    And balloons that are 1foot in diameter.
    You would need theoretically about 6500 balloons.

Remember kids, don't try this at home.

6. DKTKD

DKTKD Bobtail Member

Nov 7, 2006
    DanJ

What kind of truck do you drive?

Cheers

7. dedhead66

dedhead66 Bobtail Member

Nov 11, 2006
    I saw that episode of MythBusters. Are you guys doing a show about how fast trucks are?

8. DanJ

DanJ Light Load Member

Oct 10, 2006
    Company truck is a 2006 International 9200i daycab, with Eagle package. If I were ever to buy a truck, I don't think this would be it, but it suits for the linehaul run I do. I personally like the Sterling we had before, but this one is air conditioned and has a CD player LOL.

9. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle "Bregan D'Aerthe"

Jan 15, 2006
    The truck I drive (2004 F-650, Cat C7 ACERT/Allison 1000) does 0-60...eventually. Loaded, it only does it on flat ground or downhill, and that's about a mile and a half of full-throttle running.

10. The New Yorker

Dec 9, 2005
    ZOO York
  11. midget28

midget28 Light Load Member

Jan 10, 2007
    What Cheer Iowa
    Since this is all theoretical anyway you would have to take into account the driver. I mean a funny car wont do 300 if the guy behind the wheel doesnt know how to drive it. How they shift would be a big factor with or without the clutch and the power output. My dads Pete with the 18 would take an ungodly amount of time if you tryed to go through every gear but without clutching I think his best time was around 20-30 seconds and he was skipping gears like I didnt beleive. His motor is listed at 1800ft lbs torque but i cant remember the horsepower output.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.