'04 Freightliner, Detroit Diesel problem blowing white smoke

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Gusarski, Jul 23, 2009.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    ?

Thinks carefully... bubbling heater core? You usually have a heater on and it will take fluid from your engine. After a period of time it settles down.

The other thing about white smoke is it's 10 degrees somewhere. It's not winter yet is it?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. volvousser87

volvousser87 Bobtail Member

Sep 7, 2016
    i have disconnected the coolent sensor so the truck wont shut down when driving.
    I get just enough coolent on the right side of the tank (little over the min line). Left side of exprension tank will get full when engine has been running. No white smoke
    and where i live i turn my heater in the morning cuz its in the mid 30s lol

4. Will23

Will23 Bobtail Member

Sep 19, 2013
    I'm having that same issue did you find the problem ?

5. Will23

Will23 Bobtail Member

Sep 19, 2013
    I'm having the same issue did you find the problem ?

6. Mattw

Mattw Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2018
    I’ve got a 05 WS took it to the Detroit shop but they can’t work on it it’s been deleted which I didn’t know I just got the truck 8 months ago. It blows white smoke when I first take off from a stop light and it stumbles first gear or two then runs fine. They did a crank case pressure test it’s at 2” so that’s good they found 2 hose clamps that were just gone on the egr system they fixed that but now I have bubbles in my antifreeze and pushing coolant past the overflow tube and radiator cap.

My question is I’m thinking I have a bad egr cooler could that cause the motor to stumble and pressurize the coolant system?

7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    If it is indeed deleted then you probably don't have an EGR cooler.

Air compressor or head/head gasket are the first things that come to my mind. Combustion gas tester will tell you if your head gasket is pushing combustion pressure into the cooling system.

spsauerland Thanks this.
  8. Guf

Guf Light Load Member

Apr 5, 2019
    No no no and no. Dont put any stop leaker #### in the truck!!! It will clog up everything. Had a friend do that and he ended up with another engine. That stuff is to get you safe to a shop

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.