'04 Pete 387 - Not quite sure about it

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by 85COE, Nov 18, 2019.

1. 85COE

85COE Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2019
    Columbus, Ohio
    looking at picking one up, but there is a slight issue. CAT engine, condo, manual, truck is red, 1.1m miles, no overhaul done, and the only repairs they've done are (according to them) new tires, new brakes, new fan hub, and a new steering gearbox, and they want $25k for it. So, I'm not the best one to talk to when it comes to pricing a truck, but for a million mile truck with no major work done to it ....... I'm rather skeptical about it being worth $25k. As of right now, what I posted above is the only info I have.

Edit: They claim to know the previous owner very well, and that he took very good care of the truck.

Thoughts?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I'd expect it to cost some money in the near future.

Dino soar, pushbroom and spsauerland Thank this.
  4. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    That's a typo right? You meant 2,500. You have to cause no one in their right mind would pay 25,000 dollars for that truck. Pesos maybe.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    Onemanshow, Dino soar and AModelCat Thank this.
  5. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    You could spend $40,000 on that truck real soon in repairs. Easy.

spsauerland and Dino soar Thank this.
  6. 85COE

85COE Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2019
    Columbus, Ohio
    I did not type it incorrectly. They want $25,000 for that truck. I was thinking more like $10k, since it's a million mile truck, and no major repairs have been done to it.

7. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Keep your 85 COE- Make your money- Pay off the house- Whip the kids into shape,Have Momma make Dinner, And Show her off to all the "Electronic" Heads out there making payments until oblivion.

Retire at 55 years old- And sit at the truckstop counter with a heavy Billfold talking with all the stressed out drivers wondering what the hecks going on.....

8. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    If they took care of it that well, you would have a super gigantic long laundry list of repairs that they did.

What they did was wear it out and get rid of it while it's still runs so the next sucker can pay through the nose.

If you have an 85 cabover, never get rid of that truck for any kind of junk like that.

And not to be funny, but there is some sucker out there that will dig deep into his pockets and be happy to give them 30 or $40,000 for that truck because it has the stupid name Peterbilt on it.

And then the moron that buys it is going to be thrilled to pay 4 and 5 times what the parts cost for a normal truck.... because he's got a Peterbilt with a cat! Stupidity like that always amazes me.

Put the 25 Grand into that cabover and it will be like a good woman- it will love you long time.

9. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Condition could mean everything. Most million mile 387's will not fetch the figure you gave as others have allready pointed out. But then again, depending on the area some people really love these older trucks and I have seen nice clean pre- emissions trucks go for a premium.

Have the thing looked over. If it suites you needs, offer what it's worth to you.

10. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    A pre emissions Pete can fetch decent money. I think an 04 is a single turbo MBN or a MXS accert. Either one can be a great runner with a little tuning. If truck is in good shape and suspension is tight, front end not loose truck still has a lot of life left in it. A peterbilt will always bring a premium over a comparable Freightliner or anything else

Oxbow and Goodysnap Thank this.
  11. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Folks it's a 387. The only thing peterbilt on a 387 is the name plate and the cost of parts.

AModelCat and rollin coal Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.