05 VOLVO truck VED D12 engine lacks power and makes 4mpg.. what is wrong?

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by bravoo67, Mar 15, 2012.

1. dennette2002

dennette2002 Bobtail Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Having exact same issue..What did you figure out?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    I believe if my memory serves me right his egr was stuck open.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  4. Martin1620

Martin1620 Bobtail Member

Mar 6, 2016
    I have same or similar problem with my Volvo. Have finally narrowed it down (I think) to a moisture related issue with the electronics. I kept it in my shop for 3 weeks and when we took it out it ran great until we ran it in the rain and it lost power as quickly as flipping a switch. This happened two days ago. We will concentrate on electrical wiring connections now and see what that does for us.
    Martin

5. v6killer

v6killer Medium Load Member

Dec 6, 2010
    ChicagoLand
    Check the wiring on the starter, the ground wire has been a problem going back to frame or the battery's, bad
    EGR's will not effect the lost in fuel mileage or power that much.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  6. oceanix

oceanix Bobtail Member

Mar 6, 2016

7. A4G Seed

A4G Seed Bobtail Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Can you help me with the vacuum control modual location? I took the exhaust brake off and it seems to be fine. I am thinking the exhaust brake is being supplied air pressure when it shouldn't be, is that because of the VCM? When i start the truck and after about 15 seconds the exhaust changes tune and sounds like it is being restricted.

8. dorlia2

dorlia2 Light Load Member

Apr 20, 2012
    DOWNERS GROVE
    I am afraid this is normal. One of the functions of the VEB is warm hold Partial closing of the plunger so it increases engine back pressure thus warming up quicker.

9. A4G Seed

A4G Seed Bobtail Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Would a bad VEB let there be a partial closing all the time? The truck doesn't have the power it should. When i am driving empty and the engine brake switch is in the off position and you let up on the throttle the truck slows down like the exhaust brake is partially engaged. MPG is terrible 4.15 loaded and 4.5 empty. Running empty it takes miles to get to 75 mph and loaded cant even get to 65mph. Earlier in this thread it was said to change the EPG and the vacuum control module. As i said the EPG is fine.

10. A4G Seed

A4G Seed Bobtail Member

Oct 22, 2016
    was just looking and i understand the VEB is the system including the EPG and the VCB. What regulates the air pressure to the EPG? Could this be the problem that would supply air to the EPG continuously?

11. v6killer

v6killer Medium Load Member

Dec 6, 2010
    ChicagoLand
    Sometimes the solenoid goes bad that operates EPG, it all depends what model truck you have, it might sit on the passenger side or the driver side. The air line to EPG also might have leak or crack in it and it's not letting EPG closing all the way.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.