06 Acert MXS low boost on bottom end

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Chickentrucker20, May 23, 2018.

1. Chickentrucker20

Chickentrucker20 Bobtail Member

Jan 25, 2018
    Anyone have any problems of this kind? New twins less than 4 months, top end boost is still normal at 60psi, bottom end takes a while to spool up now, when tune was new (2 years ago) and again when turbos were new (3 months ago) I got immediate boost in all gears, now it seem like it’s mostly in the high gears. Took turbos apart last Friday, low pressure will touch sides if if push on it a little, fuel pressure is good at 110. Maybe boost sensor, maybe injectors? I don’t know.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DieselTech_Aus

DieselTech_Aus Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2017
    WA
    CAC boost leaks? what pressure does the low pressure gate actuator crack at? tightening the actuator rod so that the gate doesn't crack off its seat until 20psi can help. any smoke?

data from cat ET would make diagnosis a lot easier

4. Chickentrucker20

Jan 25, 2018
    No boost leaks that we can find. Haven’t tested pressure on wastegate opening, I was under impression there was only one wastegate. Does it open separately for low and high? No smoke. Thinking about going to Cat next week.

5. DieselTech_Aus

Dec 20, 2017
    WA
    t
    that's correct. if it opens too soon it can result in lower turbo shaft speed and less air mass. needs to be signigicantly early to cause a very noticeable effect on power/power delivery.

does your pyro seem any different?

maybe start with a valve set and look at some ET data particualy for fuel temp, boost pressure sensor and atmospheric pressure sensor

6. Chickentrucker20

Jan 25, 2018

7. Chickentrucker20

Jan 25, 2018
    Valves were adjusted not long ago, pyro is a little warmer than it was before. But all of these specs were normal to me for about 2 years. It was only when turbos were replaced that I realized the bottom end boost I had been missing, I knew I also had it when the tune was put in but I was not familiar enough with the truck at the time I noticed it was gone, I thought engine was just getting tired.

I bought a boost sensor and atmospheric pressure sensor a couple of weeks ago but haven’t installed them yet.

8. DieselTech_Aus

Dec 20, 2017
    WA
    if it started when new turbos were fitted id start with waste gate actuator. make sure it doesn't move off its seat until at least 18-20psi. adjust the preload on the flap with the rod if necessary.

cat say they aren't adjustable..... that's BS. they are however crushed to the thread so lube the thread, use heat and be very gentle adjusting the rod length.

also I would pressurize the CAC system from the air inlet. the pipe from filter to turbo. put your air in there as it will show if any of the inter-turbo bellows are leaking which is common

ODR and dustinbrock Thank this.
  9. Chickentrucker20

Jan 25, 2018
    It actually started after turbos were about 3 months old, and previously, about 3 months after my tune was installed. I almost wonder if ecm derates the boost somehow. Also I put a clamp on wastegate hose to test, would that have ruled out WG problem?

10. dustinbrock

dustinbrock Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    I second what dieseltech said, pressure test from pre turbo to your intake. I brought my Sdp to 2 shops to pressure test for leaks and both just tested the cac even though I said to do it all so I went to a hardware store and farmer rigged some things together to do it myself and found 4 huge leaks in the bellows and cgi.

ODR and DieselTech_Aus Thank this.
  11. Chickentrucker20

Jan 25, 2018
    Thanks guys for your input, I’ll keep the thread updated as I go.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.