06 Mack AC427 running rough/low power/black smoke

Discussion in 'Mack Forum' started by devedo, Feb 21, 2019.

1. devedo

devedo Light Load Member

Aug 11, 2015
    Needing some pre-volvo Mack expertise assistance

Symptoms: low boost below 10psi, black smoke, not running smooth but not a dead miss, low power, loud intake noise like exhaust is coming back through. No active or inactive faults in system. To me the valve train sounds loud, but I'm not familiar with pre Volvo Mack motors let alone ever dealt with the Powerleash engine brake.

What's been done: new turbo due to shaft play on initial inspection, exhaust manifold gaskets (previous repair due to blown gaskets, rocker covers removed and valve train inspected. Turbo actuator air line removed and checked for pressure restriction or faulty electronic air actuator. Intake valves have all been adjusted. Following macks SB-266-016 for the powerleash adjustment procedures...either I'm not performing it correctly or something cause it does not look correct to me.

After the 1.14mm gauge is inserted at correct location and the push tube adjustment screws on turned till the push tube spring is compressed till push tube is solid...the top of the adjustment screw is just below the jam nut top with no threads sticking out. This is on all cylinders. Original settings had about 3 threads showing, but during check the valve train has enough clearance that some adjustment screws are not seated in the push tubes.

I do not want to set this adjustment being unsure due to it looking wrong to me and fire it up and chance breaking any of the ceramic rollers, bend push tubes, or damaging valves. I've called two local dealers but neither have dealt with the Powerleash setup to be able to give tech assistance for it.

Any help is appreciated

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    The 0.045 stays in place when you torque it to 6 in/lb. Leave gauge in place then set your .024 on exhaust. Symptoms sound like bad cam/ broken rollers.

devedo Thanks this.
  4. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    Just a thought, have you checked the air filter?

5. devedo

devedo Light Load Member

Aug 11, 2015
    Is there a way to pull the lifters up through the push tube hole to inspect them and the cam lobe face with a borescope? I've tried with a magnetic, but either its not strong enough or disassembly is required to remove them. If its just needs a stronger magnet then I'll get one when Matco or Snap On comes to the shop this evening.

6. devedo

devedo Light Load Member

Aug 11, 2015
    Yes. Have had turbo intake off during running.

Also have popped off the egr pipe to the intake to eliminate a stuck open egr valve.

7. devedo

devedo Light Load Member

Aug 11, 2015
    Also have had the air inlet pipe for the turbo off during running and the egr inlet pipe to eliminate a stuck open egr valve.

Don't have access to mack/Volvo engine software. Only jpro for macks/volvos and electronic monitoring/diagnoatics is limited on pre epa07 motors

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  8. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    I have an 99 427 Mack. Sounds like water in the fuel to me. It's EVERYWHERE. When it starts acting up I pull over dump the filter out on the side of the road and fill it back up and screw it back on. Spray a little starting fluid in it and keep on driving

9. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Nope, lifters come out the bottom. H-ring prevents them from spinning and coming out. Need to pull the oil pan to inspect. If lifters are damaged be sure to make sure H-ring hasn't moved.

devedo and BoxCarKidd Thank this.
  10. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Got one of those infrared thermometer thingamabobbers to zap the temperature of the exhaust manifold at the ports? If not, pick one up (they can be had for $20ish). That's how I discovered my cam was shot...temp on #1 was around 100 degrees, with slight increases to #2 & #3. #4 was a bit warmer, then another jump up to #5, and then #6 was slightly warmer at almost 800. Cam lobes for the unit pumps were gone on #1 through #3, and well on their way to being gone on #4. Basically I was running on 2-1/2 cylinders. It would still run, but severely down on power and the jakes didn't work. Lots of smoke with every shift.

devedo and QUALITYTRUCK Thank this.
  11. devedo

devedo Light Load Member

Aug 11, 2015
    Uploaded some pics for a visual. The 1.14mm(0.045) feelers are put in under the plunger and inside valve tip. Push tube turned till spring seats (dont have a in lbs torque wrench but i feel the seats contact). The .045 feeler is left in and then rocker is adjusted with the .024 on exhaust.

These pics are with it completed. And the exhaust adjustment screw and jam nut was what i was talking about where the screw threads are all below the jam nut. 20190222_105740.jpg 20190222_105701.jpg 20190222_105639.jpg
    20190222_105740.jpg 20190222_105701.jpg 20190222_105740.jpg

QUALITYTRUCK Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.