06 T800 lift axle only works with the key off

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by sawdustmaker, Sep 23, 2018.

1. sawdustmaker

sawdustmaker Bobtail Member

Sep 23, 2018
    I just bought this truck and I can’t get the lift axle to work. It will work fine with the key off but as soon as the key is turned on it lifts back up with the parking break off and trans in nuetral. I can’t find an electric valve that raises it. I’m assuming there is one since it’s supposed to raise when the parking break is set or the truck is put in reverse. Where should that be?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    There is an electric valve near the center above my lift axle on my 02 pete 379. I have no idea what the electronic part is for. Mine works whether the key is on or off. The only time it will raise on its own is if I set parking brake out that has nothing to do with electric obviously since our brakes are an air knob

Oxbow Thanks this.
  4. sawdustmaker

Sep 23, 2018
    The label says it lifts when it’s put in reverse. I’m guessing that’s electric.

5. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    you have a steerable lift axle?

6. SAR

SAR Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2011
    ND
    The electric valve is located on the center bracket on my steerable lift axle. When I run the wires up to the dash I wired in a switch to lift/lower the axle along with a relay. On that relay I had a choice of having lift axle up or down with key on/off. I elected to have axle up with key off. I also have the axle lift when tranny is put in reverse.

I think you need to find that electric valve and start tracing wires to the relay and switch a couple wires around.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  7. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Does it appear to be a factory installed pusher axle? Switch in dash like factory install. If so, last six of VIN and can look up diagram. If not, we need for info and pictures.

SAR, Cam Roberts, Oxbow and 1 other person Thank this.
  8. sawdustmaker

Sep 23, 2018
    Yes. It’s a steerable lift axle.

9. sawdustmaker

Sep 23, 2018
    It does appear to be factory. Last 6 are 108168

10. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    It is a factory installed lift axle, Watson Chalin SL100126-2. I attatched three diagrams: the plumbing, wiring diagram, and picture of solenoid. Solenoid is located on hvac box. Looks like fan clutch solenoid. My first question is are reverse lights functioning properly? The solenoid is what is used exhaust air from the switch when transmission is in reverse. Fuse for solenoid is igntion powered.

Attached Files:

Oxbow and SAR Thank this.
  11. sawdustmaker

Sep 23, 2018
    Thank you! The reverse lights and beeper do work correctly. I can’t see the pdf from my phone to figure out what else may actuate the solenoid. It will work fine disconnected for now.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.