07 KW T800 Leaking Water Out the Bell Housing

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by Lowboy456, May 28, 2019.

1. Lowboy456

Lowboy456 Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2017
    I pulled into the job this morning ready to load and haul dirt for the day. While outside on the ground I noticed water pouring out the bell housing right where you grease the thro out bearing.
    Does anyone have any idea what this might be?
    I had actually noticed very small amounts leaking each day last week when parked.

This truck has a Cat C-13 and an Eaton fuller 8 LL Tranny.

I put about 3 gallons of water in it and trucked it back to the shop. Luckily I wasn't too far away.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Check your transmission level. You might have a water to oil transmission cooler and its leaking, dumping coolant out the input shaft seal?

May be a leak on the back/above the engine and dripping down into that area?

spsauerland Thanks this.
  4. Lowboy456

Mar 14, 2017
    Thanks for the reply! Its definitely not coming from the top back of the engine. Its pouring strait out the bell housing inspection opening.
    I'll check the Trans fluid level next.

5. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I'm not at all familiar with the C-13 so I don't know if there are any coolant galleys or plugs around the flywheel housing or not.

6. Lowboy456

Mar 14, 2017
    We found the problem. Turns out there's a 2x12 inch pipe like water cooling chamber on the outside of the transmission.
    Oil from the transmission is pumped through a coil inside that chamber. The coil inside has corroded and letting water into the transmission.
    I suppose you could loop the water line together and cap the lines from the transmission to get on down the road? Its Pricey! Its the Perterbilt Heat Exchanger Kit. $454.27
    Search results for: 'heat exchanger kit'

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  7. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Exactly what I figured it was. I suppose you could loop the two transmission lines together and the two coolant hoses together. Just watch that transmission temperature. Also flush that transmission really good. I've been told coolant additives can eat away at the friction material on the range synchronizer.

spsauerland Thanks this.
  8. Lowboy456

Mar 14, 2017
    Whats the best way to clean the transmission? I was thinking fill it back up with the correct oil, run it a bit and change it.

9. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    If you're in it that deep, I would toss a reman 13 speed in it. Along with a new clutch. Coolant turns to a nasty sludge and reeks havoc on a gear box. And it would suck very much bad to have the trans crap out. Just my 2 cents without knowing how deep your pockets are.

Tombstone69 and Intothesunset Thank this.
  10. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Use ATF. Attached the Eaton procedure.

Attached Files:

pushbroom, AModelCat and Goodysnap Thank this.
  11. Lowboy456

Mar 14, 2017
    I drained the tranny and filled it back up with 90 wt gear oil after installing the new oil cooler. I ran it all day today and If its milky I'm gonna change the oil again after I run it a few days.
    I had to flush the radiator good as well I got about 1 gallon of oily sledge out of it.
    So far so good!:cool:

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.