07 KW T800 Leaking Water Out the Bell Housing

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by Lowboy456, May 28, 2019.

1. Lowboy456

Lowboy456 Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2017
    Thanks for sharing this. For some reason I couldnt open it earlier on PC but can on my cell.
    ATF huh?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lowboy456

Mar 14, 2017
    Water In Transmission Failed Oil Cooler
    1 Drain Transmission oil
    2 Drain Coolant
    3 Fill transmission with appropriate oil
    4 Install new oil cooler in my case it was a Fuller K3955
    5 Flush the coolant with 2 oz of dawn with coolant reservoir topped off, run engine until it reaches operating temperature. Continue as many times as necessary to get the oil out. Last time use strait water to get the Dawn out. Always dump water into appropriate container.
    6 Change the Coolant filter.
    7 Fill coolant system with appropriate Antifreeze and 50% water.
    8 Drive

I ended up flushing the radiator twice with a couple oz's of Dawn dish washing liquid to get the oil out.
    The 3rd time I flushed it with strait water to get the soap out. Each time I was running the truck around the block to get it up to operating temp. I had installed the oil cooler but looped the water lines together so I didn't push oily sledge into the new cooler. Each time I drained the radiator I disconnected those looping lines because they were a low point in the system and drained them. They were hanging down below the transmission.
    I got a little over 1 gallon of oily sledge out of the radiator.
    Also changed the coolant filter after I was done flushing the system.

The truck is shifting better now without the water in the transmission. Unfortunately the hi range shift is noisy shifting from lo to hi with fresh oil in it. It wasn't noisy with the water in it and I'm not sure what I can do about that other than run it.

I bet its had a little water in the transmission ever since the shifting got hard and sticky almost a month ago. It got to where it wouldn't go in and out of gear easily and smoothly.
    Then the oil cooler leak got worse and finally flooded the transmission to where water leaked out the input shaft into the bell housing and onto the ground. There is no seal on the input shaft.

I took a Transmission oil sample yesterday and the oil looks fairly new. I'm gonna run it one week and take another oil sample and change the oil if it starts clouding up.

4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Noise just on high-low, low high range shift? May need the trans aux section pulled and replace the synchro. Coolant can eat them up. Diagnose though, don't just toss parts at it.

5. Lowboy456

Mar 14, 2017
    Is that something that can be changed without pulling the entire transmission?

6. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    You can remove the auxiliary section in the truck, but it's a lot easier out. If it was me I'd take RustyBolt's suggestion.

7. Lowboy456

Mar 14, 2017
    What advantage would a 13 speed have over my LL 8?
    I have Low Low Reverse and Forward for going on these soft soil construction jobs sometimes up some steep hills fully loaded. Plus I have some decent over dirve to where I could run 80 MPH tacked out.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.