1.50 per mile rant

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Cheezy_smile, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Cheezy_smile

Cheezy_smile Medium Load Member

May 23, 2017
    Talked to guy yesterday while waiting for my trailer about trucking and owner operator business. Apparently he owns small company and try to offer me 1.50 per mile like it’s a bucket of gold. Bragged about his guy making 5 K a week , but when he told me he makes 3 trips a week to NJ from Ohio ( roughly 3600 mile) , I tried ( really hard) not to be mean and unprofessional toward fellow truck driver. Walked away when he told me that 500 $ a day is sufficient enough for O/O. Yet he had a nerve to blame TQL and shippers for all ouf our problems ..Rant over

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. razor1983

razor1983 Medium Load Member

Jan 17, 2011
    mo miles mo money mo problems

BoyWander and Bakerman Thank this.
  4. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Yea he's about 3 decades late for calling that gold

spyder7723 and baha Thank this.
  5. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Retired,In my shop in Md.
    I was leased to Consolidated Freightways Special Commodities back in the late 70's through the 80's. Our base cheapest published rate for a flatbed truckload was $1.40 pm. Step deck rate was $1.68 pm. This was over 35 years ago. And very few of us lease operators ran that freight,unless you were stuck somewhere,and wanted to move. Agents trip leased that stuff out. We ran mostly class rated,steel and machinery ltl cross country back then,good paying work,that's where the money was.
    No matter what the rate is,someone will always do it cheaper. Been that way as long as I can remember,esp. in todays deregulation mess.

6. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    You have to run the numbers, with if being lucky getting 5 years out of a truck before needing to do most major overhauls and replacement and with all the nickel and dimes replacing tires,wipers, permits and every little thing that might go wrong $1.50 is almost paying to run for them. If you are looking for a weight loss plan that will be working because you will be scrounging sometimes.

Cheezy_smile Thanks this.
  7. Cheezy_smile

Cheezy_smile Medium Load Member

May 23, 2017
    Numbers and time is Major factor in this buisness. Some people just don’t get it

8. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    A flatbed driver told me many years ago, “ I am loosing money on every load so I am going to have to start pulling 2 loads a day”. I had to laugh about it to myself later. I feel for people who don’t understand their numbers well enough to know what it takes for them to be profitable.

9. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    I use $2.00 a mile on hub miles as my internal cost number (my trucking business services only our own farm). Even with a paid for truck and trailer, if we assign any overhead at all to the trucking company, we barely show a profit. That's on 2K miles a week, and with CHEAP insurance.

I guess we need more miles? ;)

BoyWander Thanks this.
  10. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
    It is easy to have a million dollars in the bank after five years of trucking. Just start out with two million in the bank!

stwik, jamespmack and Tug Toy Thank this.
  11. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    I have alot of $500 dollar days. But only 100 miles. Work 6-7 hours and be home for dinner. Sleep in bedroom. Its all how you look at it. I slacked 2017 and ran 34k miles. I enjoyed it.

Lepton1, Paddlewagon, stwik and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.