1 Killed In Nasty Accident On I-70

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Lurchgs, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    DENVER (CBS4) - A woman was killed and another injured Friday evening on Interstate 70 after an accident involving a car, a sport utility vehicle and a semi truck.

The Colorado State Patrol said a Pontiac Sunfire, driven by Malinda L. Casey, 19, of Bennett was involved in a crash in the westbound lanes of I-70 near E-470 just after 7 p.m. with a Trail Blazer driven by 44-year-old Yelena A. Lyubimskaya of Aurora.

Police said Lyubimskaya got out of her vehicle, which was in the road, and was standing next to it with her door open. An oncoming semi swerved and missed hitting Lyubimskaya's SUV, but another semi traveling behind the first struck Lyubimskaya's SUV, throwing her into the highway. That semi then ran Lyubimskaya over and flipped onto its side.

http://cbs4denver.com/local/semi.accident.interstate.2.672561.html

Giggles the Original Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. groovemachine

groovemachine Light Load Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Shawnee, Kansas
    :biggrin_25513:

Very sad...why would someone stand in the road after an accident...

:biggrin_25524:

4. SILVER EAGLE

SILVER EAGLE Bobtail Member

Jul 14, 2007
    Pa
    i cant understand why the 2nd semi was following so close i know it happens all the time but when u tailgate all u do is depend on the driver in front of u to make your choices....that is why space is so vital here it would saved a life

AFSTruckerswife Thanks this.
  5. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    http://www.9news.com/news/local/article.aspx?storyid=87718

As it happens, I know the ambulance crew who was first on scene - before fire and PD (and extricated the truckers, extinguished the burning diesel that was flowing toward the cab of the wrecked truck, called for the chopper...The tapes are.. interesting). The truck was going fast enough to climb up - and OVER - the jersey barrier between east and westbound lanes, before rolling over.

Not only was the second truck tailgating the first, but both trucks were traveling at 65mph through the accident scene. Granted, the posted speed there is about 65 (it's 75 east of there, and 55 west of there), but blowing through an accident scene like that is inexcusable.

Groovemachine - the lady outside her car was a nurse. It's entirely possible she was out trying to play medic - or at least seeing the extent of the injuries to the other victims of the original wreck.

6. bullhaulerswife

bullhaulerswife Forum Leader/Admin Staff Member Administrator

Jul 23, 2007
    Midwest
    I am truely hoping that this isn't the Yelena that I knew while attending college. :biggrin_2553: I have a feeling that it is. This is very sad. But there were many lives effected, including the drivers that ran over her.

7. ace1stdan

ace1stdan Bobtail Member

Mar 22, 2008
    NJ
    Half the time they are in shock, don't know where they are at... Happens a lot after a serious accident. I was rear ended by a young woman in a mini van, I was at a stop light, she ran into the back of my loaded flat bed doing about 50 to 60 mph. She moved my truck forward about 30 to 40 ft. Everything went into slow motion, haze, weird... I guess thats just our body and brain reacts to situations like that...

8. Karinthewind

Karinthewind Bobtail Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Salida, Co
    As of a couple hours ago, there have been 25 fatal accidents across the United States involving Semi's. Doesn't really matter who caused it.
    50 families are without members of the family.
    25 in less than 48 hours.

9. broncrider

broncrider Road Train Member

geez...how many were cuased by the truck driver? not many i bet
    i feel for the families.....but then again how many were cuased by folks that had been driving for years, just not with a red liceance?
    have you any idea how many idoits can drive, but have no idea what they are responcable for?

i see it every day, even as a local guy now, so many folks have no idea what they are supposed to do even when merging on the interstate....our driver edjcation program is failing the younger generation, and that leading to alot of deaths, mianly becuase they have NO IDEA of what a CMV can, and can't see....let alone how short the can stop

10. halfburn

halfburn Medium Load Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Jasper AL
    I spend a lot of time thinking about this. I sit there for eight to twelve hours a day watching person after person taking like ending chances with their driving habits. I think they start out careful and then see someone get away with something and they try it and get away with it and it becomes habit. I wonder if most people are just not smart enough to practice good habits or as you say a lack of training so they don't know to do so.

11. Karinthewind

Karinthewind Bobtail Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Salida, Co
    Even a couple paragraphs in the state motor vehicle book educating "idiots" would be a good start. I would like to see something presented to Driver Ed students in HS.
    Before this industry, my resume reads Fire Dept, Police Dept and EMT.
    I have experienced entirely too much carnage because of idiots. There has got to be a way that we can attempt to educate drivers until states do educate motorists. Maybe if we all step into the local high school and offer to speak to the kids and show them a few pictures....it has had success with DUI/DUID.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.