1 ton flat bed

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by jojo37, Nov 5, 2018.

1. jojo37

jojo37 Bobtail Member

Nov 5, 2018
    hello guys... so before i start i just want pros and cons and advice because my mind is already set... so febuary i will be getting a 1 ton 8ft. flat bed (eventually with get a 20-24ft bumper pull trailer) but as to starting off just going to be the truck alone and oviously leasing on to a company...any pros and cons? will i need the E-Log for just the truck? should i install the pipe rack for maximum profit?... and yes i have TWIC card medical card tankers and hazmat (not sure if its a plus) and obtain my CDL class B currently working on the A... just trying to soak up info thanks!

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I'm not educated on hot shot trucking, if that's what you're doing.
    Here's some hot shot freight websites though:
    Showroom Transport
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Star Fleet Trucking
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. Robert85006

Robert85006 Medium Load Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Southwest USA
    You want to purchase equipment and hot shot before becoming a CDL driver?

5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    All new one tons are a minimum of 11,000 lbs, as such....
    You will need to register a dot# if interstate, or state equivalent. You will be under the logging rules, so will need an ELD if you don't qualify for any specific exemption like ag or timecard.

Also, depending on the gcvwr and the g wr of the trailer you may need a cdl a to pull that trailer.

RichardMG and brian991219 Thank this.
  6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Bumper pull trailer. I think you need to stop and really think this one out, how much are you expecting to haul with that, 1000lbs?

7. jojo37

jojo37 Bobtail Member

Nov 5, 2018
    lol seen pj bumper pull 20 ft deck over trailer rating 7k per axle with a total of 14k where did u get 1000lbs from?....

RichardMG Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Actually Ridgeline is not too far off the mark.

If it is a Class III hitch like i have on my truck it's probably going to be less than that on it.

If it is a pintle hitch like we had on our dump truck, there is a hard max weight limit for the trailer that went with it. If it should be too heavy and fail, not even the chain will hold it.

If someone wants to get into hots hotting, put a small 5th wheel on that truck and get going.

Lite bug and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  9. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    A lot of people around here say bumper pull, but actually mean under bumper trailer hitch. I just assumed that's what he meant. Most trucks now days don't even allow a ball to be mounted on the bumper itself.
    And a class V trailer hitch can get up to 14,000 lbs.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  10. jojo37

jojo37 Bobtail Member

Nov 5, 2018
    thank you! but since i have ur attention for starters since im starting with the truck only... do u have any advice ? thanks in advance

11. jojo37

jojo37 Bobtail Member

Nov 5, 2018
    i see were the confusion went sorry for the miscomunication... with that being said any advise would be appreciated thanks!

Lite bug Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.