$10,000 EIDL GRANT

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Scooter Jones, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    The reason I ask about marriage is because it's important to get the spouse's input on a huge financial decision like indebting oneself to a huge secured loan, whether from the government, a bank, or Uncle Vinnie.

A loan that could potentially put them at risk in the event something negative were to happen to you, like death, sickness, etc.

I mean these loans are meant to provide working capital for business. Capital that is lacking due to a shortfall in revenue.

The loan goes on the negative side of the ledger, there's no intrinsic appreciable value to them. It's debt.

We all know what a horrible master the lender can be in the long run sometimes.

I would urge caution in the final analysis. In the end, each one of us has to make and live with our own choices, good or bad.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wespipes

Wespipes Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2019
    Yes. Were discussing it together. I mean she's just a stay at home wife. But I this is a pretty big longterm decision. So im definitely taking in her opinion

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    If you have to think about it, don’t take it. It should be for emergency use only. And btw “just” a stay at home wife? I’m no feminist by any means but that doesn’t sit quite right. Especially if you have children in the home.

Anyway, to make a real assessment much more details would be needed.

5. Wespipes

Wespipes Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2019
    What I meant by that was she instead involved with business at all. No we don't have children.

Rideandrepair and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  6. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    The way I understand it - which is to say that I am not a lawyer and someone who knows better please correct me - the EIDL loan less than $200k is not personally guaranteed and personal networth assets are off the table for collateral. It was confusing for me at first because they used the term personal assets in the agreement but they rather meant business personal assets e.g. Equipment, Tools, Shop supplies, Office Supplies - these classify as personal assets in legal terminology.
    In this case - loans less then $200K, a spouse not involved in the business should not inherit the debt.

Not sure how that works for loans over 200k when personal guarantee is required, I am afraid that personal networth of business owners may be used to satisfy debts.

7. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Well. They deposited my 59k rather quickly and it stays there where I believe it is intended to be - my business checking account. Doing its job as a working capital from the very get go.
    I did not open another account to separate it - I already have one where I keep savings for a major repairs and equipment replacement - but I'll keep it there in checking, sitting with my business earned money. I did not see a point of making these superficial divisions, especially since I do not commingle business spending with personal spending.
    As far as classifying which transactions - expenses -are applied towards EIDL loan and which not, I'll create a special expense subclass in Quickbooks e.g. "EIDL fuel", "EIDL insurance premium" or create a separate spreadsheet where these transactions will be recorded with attached receipts/invoices. Of course they cannot exceed the amount of the loan.
    It took me awhile to accept the loan from the date of approval- 28 days.
    According to one person from tier 1 of SBA customer service, I can go back to the very date of my loan approval to apply EIDL loan to classified expenses, another person from the same tier said that I could go a little further...lol
    Some of them seem so clueless and indolent at that level. I did not succeed yet in speaking to anyone there with more authoritative knowledge from a higher tier.
    In my particular case it is not something to stress about - If were to buy a reefer, the loan from a bank would be even higher and note would have higher APR and 5-6 years to repay it.

nikmirbre and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  8. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    So let's say (hypothetically) a person signs for and receives a 100k dollar EIDL. They subsequently wash that money through the business books over the next 2 year period, justifying in their mind it's for legitimate line items specified in the terms of the SBA contract.

Since the first payment is deferred until the beginning of the second year, an individual will have only paid 1 year of principal & interest by the end of the second year on a 30 year note. When suddenly the borrower dies.

In his/her estate, is 200k dollars of "personal" assets, but only a beat up truck and trailer and a hand full of tools in his/her "business" assets, worth very little in reality.

Do you really think the SBA, an arm of the Federal Government, is going to walk away from an almost 100k owed obligation?

If they file a claim against the estate or in probate, they will get their money, one way or the other. Or at least wreak havoc on the spouse, creating undue stress, hardship, attorneys fees, etc, on an already traumatic life/death situation.

As has already been attested, it's difficult to obtain a concise answer from the SBA phone center, with assurances, about the nuances and precise underlying legalities and rights being ceded to them contractually.

It's that uncertainty which led me to give the 85k dollars back...

Everyone else's mileage will vary. May the force be with you ;-)

Midwest Trucker and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  9. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    There are uncertainties.
    Therefore, I did solemnly pledge to myself to have that 59k available at any given time for an immediate repay, if....
    It is not like I am going to a dealer and buy the brought up here earlier exemplary reefer tomorrow but knowing that I have 59k in the bank to prop up my working capital, I certainly could do it with more confidence, if I really wanted to.
    This is not a loan that can be used frivolously. It is a puma in the cage. Nice to have it but not so much for having fun with it.

Rideandrepair and Wespipes Thank this.
  10. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    And the funny thing is that many folks do believe that this loan may become forgivable.
    One of those SBA call takers made a suggestion like that too. LOL

11. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    Yeppers, just ask Roy Horn about that. Well, that's not possible now because he died of complications from Covid-19.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.