10 meter radio in a truck - legal question.

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by nawarra1, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Still the issue of power vs. getting out seems to be misunderstood. Much of the time it isn't the area but the others who are on the channel talking which stops people from getting out.

Remember that just above the cb band people do talk a lot of distance with little power and it isn't because of the frequency or something special for that group of frequencies but because of others and a lack of chaos.

The issue with coax is simple, power doesn't need a lot of fancy wire involved, even at 4 watts, you can quantify it all you want but what does matter with coax losses is on the receive end of business, this is what many don't seem to get. Having 8x in a truck is ok, there is no difference you will see with quality 8x opposed to the super coax like LMR stuff because you are not running 200 feet but if you have truckstop crap sold by a truckstop CB expert, then you will get what you pay for.

Big_m Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nickle

nickle Bobtail Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Internal antenna is no good. No range to speak of. Swr will really suck. Outside antenna and not 2 or 3 foot antenna. Good coax, and swr set. The 10meter will work fine.

4. Gadfly

Gadfly Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Hey Ridgeline,

What do you think would happen if some people saw a radio with some LADDER LINE instead of coax for a feedline? Not in a mobile, of course, but a base. Don'tcha think it would BLOW their minds?:biggrin_2554: WHAT????????????? WHAT is LADDER LINE??? "Why, that 'air reddio cain't work like 'at!!!!!!:biggrin_25512::biggrin_25511::biggrin_25521:

I worked 80 countries using it!!!!!:biggrin_25519:

5. Big_m

Big_m Heavy Load Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Central Maryland

They would think that it's for TV.

6. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    True, they would not get it.

7. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I got an email last night from someone when they read my post that reminded me technically what is a ladder line and what is twin lead.

A twin lead is what I use on my G5VR antenna I have sort of up (thanks to the snow it is sitting on the ground). It is like television lead (which I have used). The G5VR has open spaced twin lead wire. I used a ladder line with ceramic spacers (that is two pieces of 14 gauge wire spaced at 5 inch center which is 600 ohms) for my modified Zep.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.