10 meter radio in a truck - legal question.

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by nawarra1, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I have been running Galaxy's 44 & 33's for probably 15 years & have never had any problems or been questioned.

I bought these radios new, took them to a CB shop locally, they did what they did & converted them to operate on CB frequencies. I do not operate outside of those frequencies. The radios were also tuned & turned up to around 30 - 40 watts depending.

Now let me say that it doesn't mean its not illegal or that I wont be one day questioned or worse. I am just saying I don't have any worries that it will ever be an issue.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. muleshoe

muleshoe Light Load Member

Jul 4, 2013
    You'll know that the Mirage is a Ranger- RCI product, don't ya. Has a Ranger board and their mike. This isn't some cheap China knockoff.

JForce28 Thanks this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Sorry but when ever there is a channel selector on a ham radio, it is a CB and not a ham radio.

5. muleshoe

Jul 4, 2013
    You need to get ahold of the FCC then. One of you are out of synch. Because, this Mirage 86HP, I have sitting on my dash has the FCC's amateur radio sticker on it.

Big Duker Thanks this.
  6. Mad Dog 20/20

Mad Dog 20/20 Heavy Load Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Skid Row
    I use a Motorola Maxtrac on 6 meters that has a channel selector. Does that make it a CB ????

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Seriously? you know what I'm talking about.

My point guys is that most of this is a marketing thing, not a true performance or design thing and you all seem to think they are better because they are 'made' for the ham radio bands.

Take MD's Maxtrac radio, he uses it on 6 meters but the radio product line is for commercial use and it is laid out in a different format, it isn't easy to work on, a lot of surface mount parts and the design is older but not reaching back to the 70's. His product line can be used on 10 meters, on 6 and vhf, uhf with literally a large number of accessories and configurations.

8. Gadfly

Gadfly Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Tell us the certification number. I just got thru LOOKING at an advertisement for the Mirage. Every bit of the claims of being an "amateur" radio is a forgery. The Mirage 86HP is NOT an "amateur" radio. The first thing on the channel selector displayed "channel 40". There IS no "channel 40" in amateur radio. It has a "band" switch. Yes, an amateur radio can have a "band" selector.....BUT! It is to select a different operating band entirely--bands for which the operator is licensed to use. CB radio has ONE "band" of 40 channels for which there is no NEED to switch "bands". The major selling feature in these so-called "10 Meter 'amateur' radios is the additional power (ILLEGAL) and the extra "channels" that are outside the CB band (also ILLEGAL) and for whom the legal users of these frequencies have been known to LOCATE and DF interlopers who have NO BUSINESS ON them!

Someone may have forged a "sticker" with a claim of FCC endorsement, but it is what it is: an ILLEGAL radio that masquerades as a "ham" radio in order to skirt the law. Again, show us the actual FCC CERTIFICATION NUMBER that we can verify with FCC! :yes2557: If you have an Amateur ticket, then using such a radio is completely legal. IMHO, these "export" radios are mostly junk sold as consumer fodder and to avid CBers.

9. muleshoe

Jul 4, 2013
    Gadfly- So you're telling me that I highly respected C.B. shop put an fake FCC sticker and sold me a product that they willing knew was not as advertised?

10. Big Duker

Big Duker "Don Cheto"

Sep 18, 2007
    Weatherford, TX

11. muleshoe

Jul 4, 2013
    Gadfly- Guess I've got two fradulant radio's. Called my stepson, he can't find a number on my 2970n2.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.