$100,000 Broker Bond

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by G/MAN, Mar 17, 2012.

1. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I just read in Landline electronic media that there is a part of the bill that will require brokers to post a $100,000 bond instead of the current $10,000 bond. OOIDA has been pushing this for some time due to the encouragement of some members. In my opinion I see no need for increasing the broker bond. In fact, we could get rid of the bond requirement altogether and it would not likely affect my business. I have been greatly disappointed at how aggressively OOIDA has pushed this legislation forward. Apparently, it has passed the senate and will now need to pass the scrutiny of the house.

This increase is a very bad idea. It will limit competition and raise the entry to the point where there will only be the larger brokers. Those who seem to want the government to do their jobs need to take responsibility for their business. There are many who will take any load offered by any broker without any thought of checking their credit. When you extend credit it is your responsibility to check references and credit before extending any line of credit. When you do business with a shipper or broker and bill them you are extending them credit. How many people will be given a credit card without passing muster with a credit check? Yet, many owner operators and independents will take a load from a broker without any thought of checking credit. When they don't get paid, they then cry to the government to come in and save them.

Perhaps the brokers will now want anyone seeking motor carrier authority to now post a performance bond or pay an annual fee to renew their authority. This would put many out of business.

I really don't understand why some would invite more government intervention into their business. It doesn't make any sense. Perhaps those who feel the need to raise the bond should find something else to do that would require them to take less responsibility. More government is NOT the answer.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Amazing that OOIDA would this?

They have lost touch with reality.

4. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I believe that it was about a year ago that I spoke with OOIDA about their support of this legislation. According to what I was told, there have been a lot of members who have not been paid by some brokers. I have not had the collection problems that those who complained have had with bad brokers. I never take a load from a new broker without checking them out. If their credit is questionable I will either get my money upfront or COD with a comcheck before the truck is unloaded. I rarely do COD since I prefer to not have the hassle. I have been in business for many years. I have only had to write off about $1,200 about 14 years ago. I should not really even count that since it was more of a misunderstanding than the broker trying to beat me out of money.

I see no reason why anyone in this business should have a major collection problem as long as they check out those with whom they do business and don't have any claims.

I have made my opposition to this legislation to OOIDA and will continue to stay in touch with my congressional representatives. This is bad legislation.

5. MNoutkast

MNoutkast Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Elk River, MN
    I am not sure what type of bond is required but when I was running my towing buisness I was required by a few places to have a $150,000 surety bond. The premium was under $1,500 a year. So I just can't see it being a really big deal to someone in the business. (Not saying its a good thing either but if its part of day to day business even the little folks will work it out.)

That $1500 was with bad credit even.

Working Class Patriot Thanks this.
  6. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    I severed ties with them many years ago. Back then, they were not interested in a small operation.

7. revelation1911

revelation1911 Heavy Load Member

Dec 25, 2011
    Moody Alabama
    Totally different bonds. I checked on a brokers bond and with some many go
    iunder the requirements were pretty tough.
    Lot of the small ones put up 10,000 cash.
    I don't care much for oodia and don't think they really represent more than their own intrest. If lots of the little brokers are put out of business rates really will suck then.
    I also wouldn't be suprised next they didn't push for annual renewal of authority.
    The stupid drivers that can't manage their business don't need to be in business. I use quick pay on everyone NO EXCEPTIONS if i'm not paid
    inside of seven days I know theres a problem and I start taking action.
    Have zero in bad debts in five years.

MNoutkast Thanks this.
  8. Flightline

Flightline Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Almost There
    Appreantly you don't realize the dollar numbers that brokers get to play with.
    When I broker goes out of business for any reason, he will normally have 30 to 60 days of unpaid loads. If it's a small broker that would be around 100 loads or $100,000 that he will keep the money on and not pay the truck which hauled the load. Now his current bond of $10,000 gets split between the loads. Now everybody gets cheated out of 90 percent of their pay. Yet he has collected from the shippers the $100,000 and went out of business.
    If an O/O only uses only great credit brokers, that in it self cuts competition because now only brokers with years behind them will have excellent credit. I have seen several brokers with good credit but less than a year old close up owing a lot of single owner operators a lot of money.
    Just last year I got $87 on a load that I hauled almost a thousand miles, was supposed to get $1700. The broker closed up and I only got like 2 percent of his bond because there was others to pay out also.
    OOIDA is doing a great job, especially for a non profit organzation.

The bond is insurance to make sure the brokers don't run off with the money. Yet why let them handle 10 times more money than insured for.

9. revelation1911

Dec 25, 2011
    Moody Alabama
    You can go after the shipper to. If you use quick pay and don't get paid you file suit before screwing with a bond, most of the real crooks have assets you can try and get. You have to wait to many days on filing on a bond.
    I've told more than one broker I don't care about your bond I will be in court while others are pissing around.

10. revelation1911

Dec 25, 2011
    Moody Alabama

Try self promoting. They represent their self and thats about it.
    Next thing you'll say is it's raining wrong again their pissing down your back.
    I bet the money you lost if you would have been on top of your game you'd be the one getting paid while everyone else was getting 87 dollars

11. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I checked on a surety bond last year. I was told that the cost would be 10% of the bond and that I would need to pledge assets that would equal the bond in order to get them to underwrite the bond. When you get a surety bond the cost of the bond is an annual cost. In other words, each year you will need to come up with $10,000 for the $100,000 bond. If you stay on top of your receivables you don't need to have a bond. I know a smaller broker that I used to do a lot of business with who would sit down and write me a check for my loads as soon as I gave him the BOL. If I mailed them to him he would mail me back a check the same or no later than the next day.

The initial article that I read required brokers to renew their authority every 5 years. When I checked the OOIDA website it stated annually for brokers and freight forwarders. How many of you who run your authority would want to pay an annual fee to renew your motor carrier authority? What goes around comes around. What if they also decided to require a performance bond? How many small carriers would have to go out of business. The feds stand to make a lot of money from these fees. The big brokers will be the beneficiaries. I can't believe that OOIDA would support such a bill as this.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.