100 lbs overweight.. should I lose it first before getting CDL?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by redfurmom, Jul 20, 2018.

1. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
    Depends on what day of the week it is whether we are nice or not!

IluvCATS Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    In my opinion you don’t need to lose 100 pounds before applying. Maybe just start losing, eating differently, and begin new habits that can be carried into your new job. I am right now losing weight while driving by simply losing carbs and doing 20mins per day expertise right next to my parked truck. It can be done.

4. Poonok

Poonok Light Load Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Il
    Losing weight is mostly about eating right. Exercise helps but its about what you put in food wise. Fridge and trips to the deli are great way to stoke the food. Eat out once or twice a week rather than everyday.

Just passing by and IluvCATS Thank this.
  5. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    You might as well get started but a definite lifestyle change is required or you will balloon up like a sick puppy quickly living in a truck. You are already in critical condition.

x1Heavy, tucker and IluvCATS Thank this.
  6. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    It’s early and everyone is sober.

7. AUfan78

AUfan78 Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2018
    Mobile, Alabama
    Blood pressure is a big thing they will check and can get you medically disqualified or length of time your medical card is valid shortened. I currently work for a municipality and I'm exempt because of it. My previous employer I only had a year card because my pressure was a little high.

8. MBAngel

MBAngel Medium Load Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Tucson, Arizona
    I agree with some of the posters here about a couple things. I took my dot physical before I even started the process of moving into trucking, because I thought that my health, at 50+ would be the "deal breaker" if there was one. I passed just fine. It didn't cost much and I now sit here with my dot card. If you pass that pysical, then get to trucking.
    After that, just keep your eye on the calories. It takes about 1000 calories a day for us smaller women to "just lay in bed and breathe" all day. Any calories above that must be determined by our activity level. I have led a pretty sedentary life, so I've kept my daily calorie intake pretty low.
    Here's how I "do food".
    Eat slowly... chew thoroughly. The more you taste your food, the less of it you'll need to eat. Taste your food and enjoy it. You start to feel full when the food starts to hit your tummy, so taking longer to chew means there's more time between the first bite and the next.
    don't eat til you're "full" because there is still food coming down the pipe, and then you'll feel "overfull".
    I eat one "big" meal a day, and snack as needed. But I put it in a bowl or cup, so I don't sit and eat like, the whole bag of chips. If I want a 2nd bowl, so be it.
    I eat nuts, or small things like fruit loops without milk, one at a time. This way I can graze, but it's only small bits at a time.
    Others in this forum have suggested fruits and vegetables, which sometimes means stopping at someplace besides a truck stop... although I do see some truck stops adding fruit and veggies to their available snackage.

Ok, main point... if you pass the physical - get on the road. Life is too short to work a job you hate waiting for "perfect". The stress alone can increase your weight.

9. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Start on your way to losing weight right away, if they can start training you right away, why not? Just be vigilant on your diet with exercise added in and go for it.

NavigatorWife and x1Heavy Thank this.
  10. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Weight is an issue for this profession. It can take a toll on the body. You may be aware, but here goes. By statistics and most medical ratings, you are obese. Fully get it, the weight adds on a little at a time, next thing your going what happened. This has some serious affects. Blood pressure, Heart stress, Organ stress, plus your on a path to type 2 diabetes. The good news is you can change that direction. Reduce your health risks. A 3% weight reduction will lower your BP, lower the stresses on your body, reduce your apnea symptoms and start your return to better health.
    Some truths about weight loss. It won’t happen fast. Took time to put on, takes time to come off. Sure you will see some peak and valley. Fad diets don’t work. All these weight loss scams are just that. A way for the promoter of them to make money off you.

It is all about calories. Take in more than you need, body stores it as fat. Portion control is a factor as well. People are very surprised to find out what an actual “serving” is. Take a look at a set of measuring cups. Those are what serving sizes are.
    Calories in is the key. If you only need 1800 calories and you take in 3500, your going to store the rest. The weight loss comes from taking in slightly less than you need. If you need 1800 and go down to 1500, your body will use stored energy, fat, for the rest. Over time, the stored will reduce, leading to weight loss. You will not starve. At first it may seem so. That’s because your used to over eating. That will change as you find you don’t need to do that. If possible, see if any of your medical providers can refer you to a dietician and a nutritionalist, ADA certified is best. They can do some measurements and a few tests to see where your at. Then help you plan your weight loss. Not going to say it’s easy, but you can do it. Starting is the hard part. So get started already.

11. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    That' cause big girls are all the rage these days. (No pelvic bone hurting ya. If you don't no or haven't experienced what I'm talking about. Feel sorry for ya, haha lol)

HillbillyDeluxeTruck and IluvCATS Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.