100 lbs overweight.. should I lose it first before getting CDL?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by redfurmom, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    I am going to go on a limb and say maybe the weight loss will happen because you changed carriers. I know that when things are tuff and gloomy I eat to compensate. Maybe the adrenaline of trying something so different is the dietary supplement you are in need of.

skellr and redfurmom Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. redfurmom

redfurmom Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2018
    My self confidence is always really low when I'm overweight and given how I'll need to be able to focus 100% on training and driving, I think my current size will cloud my mind too much

skellr and Just passing by Thank this.
  4. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    No offense but that advice sucks. For starters, flat deck work is no where near enough exercise to stay in shape. Second, it is important to get the diet under control. No matter how much exercise you get, you can't out do a bad diet. I've seen fat guys in the hardest of jobs.

Most importantly, open deck work can be dangerous for people who are really out of shape. Physical injuries and heat stress/injuries are more likely with overweight people.

You can lose weight OTR, but it's not easy, and you have to really want it.

5. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    I went down to my lightest and smallest when I was working local flat deck. It was the first time in over 15 years I was a size 38 waist.

6. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I got to my fattest doing local flat deck work. Getting in a little extra exercise is certainly helpful, it's healthy, but without getting the diet under control it's useless.

Swiss Mountain Dog Thanks this.
  7. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    The training part is going to suck so bad you won't even worry about that. :D

You will be busy and time will go by fast. You will get through it in no time. Then it gets easy

8. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    The hell with goin to a mega carrier. Find a good school to get your cdl from. From there you find a good company to run for.

Ryan423 Thanks this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I tend to get real bad around dry vans. There is nothing to slamming doors and taking off. (NO offense, explanation follows)

I need detail work or problems to resolve in my mind, that's going to be reefer, tanker and flatbedding. What I would really do well is in heavy haul, but I already know that I should not be involved in that much detail.

If you think the pay is bad now, wait until you have burned up a week taking home 180 dollars after taxes which probably will not be paid for a while. Around 7 to 10 days into the future.

Some of the most bad conflicts with stupid bosses have been over payroll not yet paid (When it should be) oh its the paperwork. Spare me please. Makes me sick the thin excuses. The Company has no problem coughing up 700 dollars to pay fuel on demand any time 24/7 but they cannot process a simple payroll. (One that has been carefully documented beyond belief, with copied signed and delivered bills of lading to boot) And you wonder why I had a work record that includes dozens of bad employers Ive quit. Sometimes Ive put the truck and it's load somewhere and told them, they can come get it. The stupid money we are fighting over that morning has now suddenly become a very powerful multimillion dollar auto plant that will HAVE to shut down later that day when they do not see the tires that they require to continue production for the next three days. THEY WILL shut down and THEN demand where are the freaking tires. All that over 150 little dollars. (After tax)

There are some seriously large people in trucking. So big that tractor trailers stay leaned over when they get off and go inside to eat enough food to fill a booth table. To me I don't know how they can stand it. Or how the doctors can stand them having a CDL and a Medical sometimes. The opposite can be said for the small ones too.

Again if you think you hate your job now... you are being warned that there are certain things within the trucking world that will cause you to question why did you ever get involved with this mess? I remember a slaughterhouse in California off 99, had a bunch of cattle at the fence by the killhouse ramp which they will be walking up to their deaths. Three in particular took a interest if not liking to me for whatever reason. All I saw on them three was a future stack of burgers in a plastic wrapped tray for sale at 4.30 in the grocery store which is part of what will happen to them. Possibly loaded into my trailer in a box here and there.

I like animals within limits. But when I know certain animals are destined to be food on my table, I cannot allow too much loving on them in my mind. It is good they do not understand what that ramp means in front of them in that group being held for their turn to go up and get processed into foods we haul and eat back east.

10. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Point taking. Glass half empty or half full? No offence meant. But I'm not wrong.

11. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    T/a and petro (not all but most) have a mostly unused work out room. Tred mill, bench, anf a stand up pully 1 station work out machine. I WATCHED a big muscled guy work out in there one time. (As I sat in my fat ### and watched a foot ball game) a person who wants to can get a pretty good work out on that thing. Point being do not wait. Decide what you want to do and j ump in with both feet.

x1Heavy and Just passing by Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.