102" whip on 2020+ freightliner cascadia

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by dltdamien, Apr 1, 2023.

1. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    3:1 looks like something in the cable, check make sure the mount is not shorted to ground, make sure your connectors are properly soldered, also make sure the ground for the mount is a good solid ground. If you have too much of it running to close to metal pieces (such as body parts) it can raise your SWR/.

dltdamien Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dltdamien

dltdamien Light Load Member

Apr 1, 2023
    Washington
    Yes

4. dltdamien

Apr 1, 2023
    Washington
    I have a bunch of coax shoved in the dash maybe that's the problem. Gonna run the multimeter tomorrow and see if I can find the problem maybe run a shorter coax so I don't have so much extra cord.

5. dltdamien

Apr 1, 2023
    Washington
    So fair warning I'm not good with electrical. Tested the mount, ground straps and coax. Mount and ground read 66 ohms don't know if that's good or bad. Disconnected coax from radio and tested at 0 ohms. Does that mean the coax is bad? Let me know your thoughts as at this point I have little knowledge of what I'm actually doing lol.

6. jdchet

jdchet Medium Load Member

Sep 3, 2012
    NE Ohio
    YouTube is your friend.

JD

dltdamien Thanks this.
  7. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017
    The ohm readings depends on the ohm meter. If it's a digital meter, touch the 2 probes together and see what the reading is. Sometimes the meter will show zero, other meters may show around 3 or 5. This gives you a base number to go by. Then check the ground straps to the antenna mount. You should get basically the same reading as touching the probes together. If the reading is a lot higher than the base reading, then you need to address that issue.

dltdamien Thanks this.
  8. dltdamien

Apr 1, 2023
    Washington
    So if meter reads 0 then when I test strap and mount it should read 0?

9. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Yes, or very close to it. If the ohm reading is high, then there's not a good ground connection to the metal. That could be due to paint or corrosion, etc

10. dltdamien

Apr 1, 2023
    Washington
    Okay tested the mount and straps correctly this time and all reading 0.00 same as multimeter.

11. dltdamien

Apr 1, 2023
    Washington
    Tuning the nail does nothing, still reads 3 on 1 and 20 and 3 and a quarter on 40. To my untrained eye grounding looks good. Possibly bad coax?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.