102" whip on 2020+ freightliner cascadia

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by dltdamien, Apr 1, 2023.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    The type of mount that the OP is using needs a ground strap from the mount to the door and then the body.

I am going to write this up for anyone, not just the OP.

Take the antenna off and disconnect the coax from the mount.

Then with your meter set at ohms or resistance, check the mount.

First, by seeing if there is a short to ground on it, the center conductor of the coax side and the ground of the mirror where it mounts on the mirror.

It should not show anything. Infinity.

Then check the center of the conductor to the antenna side - why?

Because there are a few very cheap casted mounts that are still sold that have resistance between the two, the center conductor and the body.

It should show ZERO ohms.

THEN check the mount where it attaches to the mirror for the ground.

It should be ZERO, not 66 ohms. If it is anything but zero, remove the mount and clean up the surface.

While you have a chance, check the general ground, it may require a piece of wire to extend the ohm meter lead. Start by checking the ground from the mount to different locations, up to the radio mount and negative power lead, it should all be ZERO.

Moving on ...

While the coax is disconnected, check the center conductor to the shield, this has to be ZERO ohms.

If it is anything thing but ZERO, replace it

NOW put the antenna back on and use an SWR meter, get a coax jumper to the antenna mount so to have the meter hooked up to the base of the mount, you may have to move the radio to do this test.

Close the door and hood when you do this test.

See what the SWR is, if it is high, try to adjust the antenna to get it down. If there is no response, then you have an antenna issue to deal with - won't get into that.

So if you get it tuned to a good SWR - under 2:1 but better under 1.4:1 - then hook up the coax and the SWR meter behind the radio with everything hooked back up.

If you have an increase in SWR, then the coax is the problem.

mike5511 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jdchet

jdchet Medium Load Member

Sep 3, 2012
    NE Ohio
    What frequency were you testing the Anytone on? SWR is very dependent on the frequency you are using.

JD

4. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017
    No.

5. dltdamien

dltdamien Light Load Member

Apr 1, 2023
    Washington
    Honestly did not know about frequencies having different swr readings. I don't remember what frequency I was testing on the anytone. I've put it up and hooked up the cobra so I can use a radio for the week while I'm out until I'm home. Is this a common issue that some frequencies might not be useable?

6. Night Stalker10

Jun 26, 2017
    I didn't know he was using an export radio. He didn't say what radio he was using, so I just assumed it was a CB radio.

7. dltdamien

Apr 1, 2023
    Washington
    I mentioned that I picked up the anytone in past threads leading up to this probably should of disclosed that here sooner.

8. jdchet

jdchet Medium Load Member

Sep 3, 2012
    NE Ohio
    An antenna that could cover the frequency range of an export radio would probably be beyond the needs of most truck drivers. You have to test on the band the antenna is tuned to. Probably band D.

JD

9. Night Stalker10

Jun 26, 2017
    Yes it would have helped. It's hard to help someone on an internet forum when they don't give all the details about their radio stations setup.
    I keep forgetting that just because this is a CB forum, that doesn't mean the person I'm trying to help is using a real CB radio. The principals are the same as far as tuning an antenna, but the SWR is going to be way off if your on a 10 meter radio using an 11 meter antenna. Because of the difference in frequencies these radios use.

Edit: okay I do see another thread that you were asking questions on the power source for the 5555 anytone you bought. I forgot about that, my mistake. I assume you had this radio modified to talk on the CB band?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2023
  10. dltdamien

Apr 1, 2023
    Washington
    I
    I modified it today and read good swr on 11 meter frequencies. I apologize for not giving enough info on this matter will give out as much detail as I can if more things come up. I am reading 1.1 to 1.3 on ch 1 1.3 to 1.5 on 20 and 1.7 to 1.8 on 40. Nail on ss is as low as it will go is cutting the nail to length okay or buying a smaller nail or is thud good enough and I should leave as is?

Edit: I obviously jumped the gun on this without fully understanding what I was doing. I appreciate everyone's help on figure out my issues and hope I didn't get to annoying with all my questions lol. Much respect to everyone willing to help a nooby get set up and helping me understand more about the importance of good antenna set up, bonding, grounding, and everything else. Already been chatting up farther than I've ever reached before.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2023
    Reason for edit: Update
  11. Night Stalker10

Jun 26, 2017

Not annoying at all with questions, that's how a person learns about this radio hobby. Sometime's its just difficult to help someone over the internet. This thread is a good example, it looks like you were checking your antenna while using a radio designed for 28 mhz, instead of 27 mhz cb band. I was just concentrating on this threads info, and I forgot that you did buy an anytone on a different thread. Anyway it's all good, your external meter is showing an swr of around 1.5 and that is just fine, nothing wrong with that. So all you need to do now is just enjoy your new radio.

dltdamien Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.