1099 as a company driver.

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by drver60021, Nov 22, 2015.

1. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX

I didn't want to say it because of the flack, but you are 100% correct.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Between here and eternity
    " If you did not pay enough tax throughout the year, either through withholding or by making estimated tax payments, you may have to pay a penalty for underpayment of estimated tax. Generally, most taxpayers will avoid this penalty if they either owe less than $1,000 in tax after subtracting their withholding and estimated tax payments, or if they paid at least 90% of the tax for the current year or 100% of the tax shown on the return for the prior year, whichever is smaller."

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc306.html

12 ga Thanks this.
  4. HardRoc

HardRoc Bobtail Member

Nov 2, 2015
    I am getting in touch with ATBS and let them guide me through.

5. HardRoc

HardRoc Bobtail Member

Nov 2, 2015
    i turned down the 1099 job. i am still with ATBS but i am going to go where my butt will be covered. plain and simple. i can still learn how to do the taxes while the company is paying them. no point in risking it. and i did not get an ICA, just a generic application.

6. HammerheadJ

HammerheadJ Bobtail Member

Jan 1, 2016
    New York
    From my understanding 1099's are only for contractors and W4s are for company employees. It makes sense to get a 1099 if you are leasing to a company.

7. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Between here and eternity
    You got it!

HammerheadJ Thanks this.
  8. true blue

true blue Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Harrisburg, NC
    Then there is the guy who wants to run in my truck on a 1099 until he retires. I guess he's already made his retirement money and for whatever reason, wants to do it this way. It's not so bad if the owner of the truck is working out good paying loads that makes the driver more than happy. It's not for everyone, but it can be a viable alternative with the right kind of honest truck owner giving you the keys to a good truck with good paying loads.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.