1099 Company Driver looking for extra work

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by ChiefNoChest, Jan 31, 2021.

1. ChiefNoChest

ChiefNoChest Bobtail Member

Jan 31, 2021
    Hey everybody, I’m a 1099 independent contractor company driver. I don’t have any financial responsibility of the equipment but I am held liable to cover all of the deductibles if anything were to happen. I deadhead over 400 miles a trip. I run loaded from south NJ to Pittsburgh and then empty from Pitt to home, reset, and then home to South Jersey. Is there anyway I can run under my own authority while I’m dead heading with the company’s equipment?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
  4. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    No! Find a new company to work for! They are taking advantage of you.

5. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Their is no 1099 independent contractor company driver. If you drive for company they pay for everything and you go were they tell you. You might want to decide if you want to drive a company truck or be independent contractor with your own truck..

6. ChiefNoChest

ChiefNoChest Bobtail Member

Jan 31, 2021
    I forgot to mention that I am paid for all miles. Loaded and empty. The only thing I have a problem with is my loads get canceled more than I’d like and that’s why I was looking for extra work.

7. TheLoadOut

TheLoadOut Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2019
    Sounds like a strange situation. Are they doing dedicated work on this Pittsburgh run? If it cancels there's got to be something else they can do in the meantime. In the northeast should be a no brainer.
    Curious as to what the pay is on a normal week.

ibcalm19 Thanks this.
  8. Jacoooooooo

Jacoooooooo Heavy Load Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Makes no sense. You deadhead the better paying way if I understand correctly.
    Just find work with a company based in your area, or tell those that they need to get you loads going home or start paying for your deadhead.

9. true blue

true blue Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Harrisburg, NC
    Running under your own authority involves buying (or leasing - worse idea!) your own equipment and filing all the ppwk to start your own company, which means you should have a hefty bank account to begin paying for your equipment, insurance, filings (UCR, IFTA, USDOT, SCAC, Drug Consortium, etc. etc.,) and still have plenty in the bank to cover you until the money starts coming in, not to mention having enough for repairs (which will be plenty) and fuel to start operating. That's just for starters! Who's gonna find you all your loads. And you're not going to be able to work with most brokers with a new MC or DOT number!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.