1099 help

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by ROADxDOG, Mar 13, 2019.

1. ROADxDOG

ROADxDOG Bobtail Member

Mar 13, 2019
    Hello im new to this forum and would like help and feedback from others i have done some searching on this forum but havent found a clear answer. Ok I was a 1099 Trucker for like 3 months out of 2018 and im filing my own tax return to try and save because i know i will have to pay. Im using freetaxusa.com and while filing out info it asks i get to the DOT meal allowance it asks for total price meals paid for 2018 and upon further research i came across $63 per day allowance. No meals where reimbursed by owner of the company but I would not come near $63 per day just breakfast and lunch and a few snacks before hitting the rack. I suppose irs considera meals as being something like paying for breakfast and lunch I would like to say snacks as well but im thinking no. So in claiming the DOT meal allowance do i add up all meals paid for while away from home and since i dont have reciepts or not all of them will irs accept bank statements if i get an audit or what are the possibilities of an audit...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Makeajump

Makeajump Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Texas
    If audited you will have to produce receipts for anything claimed or it will be disallowed......

4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    To simplify this for the op, you take the days out and logged away from your terminal, add them up, multiply it by $63 (I thought it was $68 now) and then multiply that by .8

This is what you can write off as per diem. You do not need receipts.

This is how it is done, these free tax things are not good for drivers.

Also this only happens if you are filing without the standard deduction.

highwayMike and Omega1 Thank this.
  5. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    You are incorrect. He gets per diem for every day he was away from home. Its a standard deduction, no receipts required.

highwayMike, Omega1 and Makeajump Thank this.
  6. Makeajump

Makeajump Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Texas
    Thanks! Didn’t know that ! Now I do thanks to you!

7. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    As of 2018, Company Drivers are no longer allowed to claim per diem per the "Tax cuts and Jobs Act"

Makeajump and Western flyer Thank this.
  8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    They can if they don't take a standard deduction and itemize.

Makeajump Thanks this.
  9. ROADxDOG

ROADxDOG Bobtail Member

Mar 13, 2019
    Ok so there is no need for me to go over bank statements and add up all my meals I had during the time i been away?? I was a team driver west coast to east coast gone for 5-6 days and off for 34 hours and back on the road again. So what about if i didnt even spend $63 per day on meals should i still multiply $63 by the number of days i been away from home?

10. ROADxDOG

ROADxDOG Bobtail Member

Mar 13, 2019
    On the questions asked it asks both DOT meals and there is also the standard meal deductions what do i use.... according to IRS pubs I would be under the DOT meals since im away for 24 hours or longer please correct me if i am wrong

11. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Use the standard per diem deduction. I believe its around $68 a day.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.