10k axles how to torque lug nuts to 200 ft lbs

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Rockwind1, Sep 22, 2022.

1. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    3/4 drive rachet/breaker bar with a cheater bar behind will do 500 to 600 lbs. Been there done that on my old style bud wheels many moons ago when I did brakes on all drives. That was 20 studs/nuts per wheel. But I was tweaking back then. No way I could do that today, if so, probably take me a week :confused:. Btw, when I would go to a tire shop to get a tire fix, there 1” drive gun couldn’t break the nuts loose. They ask who was the last to over tighten them all…….

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rockwind1

Rockwind1 Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2022
    this is the same specs i saw and mine has the 5/8's cone with a steel flange so i figured 200 ft lbs. i used a cheater bar on my 3/4"drive ratchet,, i guess my question is are the old school guys just doing it with a cheater bar by "feel" i mean,, when i change a tire on my truck i reallly don't use a torque wrench,, just the usual "good n tight" philosophy

Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  4. Rockwind1

Rockwind1 Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2022
    pretty nice tool thanks for the info!

RedForeman Thanks this.
  5. Rockwind1

Rockwind1 Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2022
    i just saw this and after i posted my last cheater bar post,, fortunately, i am old and weak and didn't go crazy on it,,

Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  6. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    Problem is, they've already hammered all ten lugnuts down with a 1" impact with 1400 pounds of torque BEFORE they even picked up the torque wrench. At that point it's a little too late and it's just for show because I can guarantee you those lugnuts will be torqued well over 475 ft pounds.

7. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    I use a torque stick like the one below. Mine is for 475 pounds but they make them in all different sizes...

Attached Files:

MartinFromBC and RedForeman Thank this.
  8. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    The only time I ever do that is in my car or pickup mounting a spare on the side of the road with the factory supplied tools. Soon as possible I'll put a torque wrench on them at home, and back off and re-torque any that are already too tight. I think my Snap-on 1/2 drive split beam torque wrench goes up to 250 ft-lb.

Pro tip: If you happen to also own a floor jack already, the handle makes a perfect cheater pipe for semi truck lugs. Not as heavy as actual pipe, plenty long enough, and probably something you already have laying around. Like on that floor jack you got under the work bench with the blown out seals you're gonna rebuild some day, not that I would ever delay such an important matter. There's usually just a single set screw at the end to release the handle.

God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.