11 international maxxforce dt no start

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Al8429, Sep 10, 2019.

1. avgdzlmekanic

avgdzlmekanic Light Load Member

Jun 8, 2019
    SoCal
    Yeah we replaced those o-rings, also.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. avgdzlmekanic

Jun 8, 2019
    SoCal
    Will do, Ill get back to you regarding this issue and see what we find...

4. avgdzlmekanic

Jun 8, 2019
    SoCal
    Took the valve cover off, unplugged the injectors and cranked. Could not see any leak. I still went ahead and removed the high pressure oil rail and replaced the O-rings. I also pulled all the injectors and replaced the o-rings and washers on the injectors. I also replaced the ICP sensor just in case. Put it all back together and cranked for a bit. Highest pressure at the ICP im getting now is 360psi. On the dash im getting well over 40 psi after cranking for about 15-30 seconds. Fuel pressure im getting is about 59 psi the highest. Weird thing is that im not getting any codes. However, i do hear some gurgling coming from somewhere beneath the valve cover which is still getting me thinking that there is air in the oil pressure system. Any thought?

5. avgdzlmekanic

Jun 8, 2019
    SoCal
    So here’s an update.… I replaced the high-pressure oil pump, it comes with a new IPR valve, I’ve replaced all the O-rings on the injectors and the washers on the injectors, I’ve replaced all the O-rings on the high-pressure oil rail, I replaced the fuel fuel filter, I replaced the ICP sensor. When we crank we can get the fuel pressure to about 55 to 60 PSI, but the ICP sensor shows anywhere between 400 to 500 psi. Weird thing is we get no codes. Any advice will help.

6. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Once you open up the high pressure system, it will take a long time to get all the air out. You have done everything now. It will take several cranking events to rebuild that pressure. You can full field the ipr by supplying it full 12 volts and ground and see how the pressure builds. Be Careful doing this, do NOT keep 12 volts on it for longer than about a minute at a time as you will burn out the ipr. 2010 is a change over year between 2007 emissions model engine and 2010 emissions. 2007 has the dual egr coolers, 2010 has one. fuel pressure is good for the 2007, but too low for 2010, but should still start ok. 2007 is 65 psi of fuel pressure, 20 psi needed to start. 2010 is 75+ psi, 20 needed to start.

avgdzlmekanic and QUALITYTRUCK Thank this.
  7. avgdzlmekanic

Jun 8, 2019
    SoCal
    i will give it some more cranking time tomorrow, but we let it crank for quite awhile. I will try to open the IPR and crank it that way. I just feel like for some reason we aren’t getting the oil pressure needed. But I don’t see any leaks on the hp oil rail nor anywhere else. I was reading somewhere about possibly checking the reservoir in the front cover by removing the sensor near the hoop to see if it is getting adequate oil from the oil pan. Thoughts on this?

8. avgdzlmekanic

Jun 8, 2019
    SoCal
    Oh btw, all of my maxxforce DTs are 2007 emissions. We change EGRs like crazy! Local dealer loves our business

9. avgdzlmekanic

Jun 8, 2019
    SoCal
    Now out of curiosity, I know there isn't a specific time frame for this, but how do I know if I have tried cranking this too much and waiting for the oil pressure to build at the ICP isn't going to happen and maybe there is a different issue here?

We've been cranking all day and no cigar. Truck just wont start. We are getting just over 400psi to the ICP and that't it. We do here gurgling (everytime we are done cranking) coming somewhere from the area of the rocker arms or where the push rods are but we don't see a leak anywhere. I believe the oil system has a leak somewhere else, but would all those other places (such as oil going through the block and head and rocker arms) cause the high pressure oil rail to not have enough oil pressure? We are pulling our hair out on this one. Could the head be bad (since it was a rebuilt head) and leaking oil somewhere? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

10. avgdzlmekanic

Jun 8, 2019
    SoCal
    UPDATE: So I ordered another IPR valve pigtail so that it would be easier to give the IPR direct power. It came in and we went ahead and tried it. Unfortunately, I didn't have the laptop with me so I couldn't see all the specs, but I cranked it until the Oil pressure was over 40psi and then we gave the IPR direct power and the sound of the engine changed and was still cranking, but the oil pressure would drop to about 30-35 psi. This has me thinking that there is an oil leak somewhere else before the HPOP and maybe that's why it cant build enough pressure after the HPOP? Another weird question I have is are there any o-rings between the head and block where oil passes through? Thoughts on any of this?

Tomorrow Ill have the laptop again, so Ill be able to get good specs on what happens to the pressure at the ICP sensor when we give direct power to the IPR valve. Thanks for your time in advance!

11. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    It should build pressure after a few extended cranking events, so you do have a leak for sure. Yes, you can remove the oil temp sensor and that should be full of oil with the engine just sitting and not cranking. Your cranking oil pressure is more than enough. Next thing is to remove your high pressure line, take it to a hydraulics store and have them make you up a high pressure test line you can connect to the pump and a high pressure (10,000psi) gauge to the other end to perform a pump output test to see if the pump can actually produce 4000 psi or not. This also needs to be done while full fielding it to produce that pressure.

avgdzlmekanic Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.