11 international maxxforce dt no start

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Al8429, Sep 10, 2019.

1. avgdzlmekanic

avgdzlmekanic Light Load Member

Jun 8, 2019
    SoCal
    I didn’t have much time with the truck today, but I was able to get some more info on it. I will be taking the high-pressure line to the hydraulic store tomorrow to see if I can get a gauge and line set up.

how can I full field the high-pressure oil pump?

also, what’s the minimum pressure needed at the ICP sensor to start the truck?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Full fielding is supplying the ipr with full 12 volts to command full pressure. Like I mentioned before, do not do this for more than about 45seconds to a minute or you will burn out the ipr. You need about 500-600 to start, you're almost there.

avgdzlmekanic Thanks this.
  4. avgdzlmekanic

Jun 8, 2019
    SoCal
    Sweet. Will do some more diagnostics tomorrow and see where it goes from there. Thanks for the help!

Heavyd Thanks this.
  5. avgdzlmekanic

Jun 8, 2019
    SoCal
    So, I went out and got a gauge that hooks up to the high pressure oil line. Without full fielding the IPR we were getting 400psi. Once I full fielded the IPR we started to get 6,500 psi. So that means the HPOP is good. Question is, does that mean the IPR is bad? Or does that mean there is possibly a harness issue here?

So I hooked up the high pressure oil hose to the head again and cranked while full Fielding the IPR. After spraying brake clean in the air filter for about 30 seconds the truck started to start, but was only sputtering and missing horribly.

Are we on the right track here and continue to crank? Or are we missing something? Again, there aren't any codes and we get over 50psi of fuel pressure.

6. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Ok, so your pump, oil supply and ipr are good. The wiring to the ipr could bad. At key on, you will have 12 volts on one pin, and the ECM controls the ground switching on the other. If you are full fielding the ipr and cranking few times and still cannot get over 400 psi, then your problem is a high pressure oil leak under the rocker cover. There is a larger fat oring that seals the feed between the head and high pressure rail. Are you sure it is in place?

7. avgdzlmekanic

Jun 8, 2019
    SoCal
    I'll check tomorrow, but I believe we are getting over 4k at the ICP when we full field the IPR. So When we full field the IPR, we get our oil pressure and we have fuel pressure. But we still are having issues with the truck starting. It misses really really bad and started to sputter and shut off. Should we keep cranking? Or is there something else we should look for?

8. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Every time you open the system up and get air into either the fuel or oil, it will be really hard to start and that will mimic your original problem until enough air is worked out. So you might have to keep trying. I would avoid using starting fluid. Also make sure you follow proper starter cranking and cool down timing along with full fielding of the ipr to no more than about 45 seconds at a time. Usually after 4 or 5 good cranking events it will start on it's own. Again, it will run horribly due to the air in the system until it has run under load for about 30 mins.

avgdzlmekanic Thanks this.
  9. avgdzlmekanic

Jun 8, 2019
    SoCal
    Sweet thank you. I'll get back as soon as I find out more

10. avgdzlmekanic

Jun 8, 2019
    SoCal
    Ok we have oil pressure (over 2k psi) at the ICP and fuel pressure (over 50psi) and it just wont start. It did start up once with starting aid, but it bogged out and did not stay on for more than 5 seconds. I've tested the high pressure oil rail to see if there are any leaks and none were found. And by testing, I mean I hooked up the air compressor to the high pressure oil line that goes to the side of the head which feeds oil into the high pressure oil rail and it holds the air pressure and no leaks are heard. I got an opinion from someone to start taking the motor apart again and start from square one. I guess I am going to end up doing that but if you have anything that you can think of, please chime in. At this point I am willing to try anything to get this truck started. And again, we replaced this head with a rebuilt head and we aren't getting any codes.

11. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Did you double check your valve set?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.