11'9" wide load and fuel island

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by Newdriver2015, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Newdriver2015

Newdriver2015 Bobtail Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Pulling my first 11'9" wide load...will I be able to fit into the fuel island with my trailer or do I need to drop it first?

thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DrFlush

DrFlush Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Depends on the fuel stop, some will be fine others no, but I usually just back off the island if its not wide enough for an OD load. I usually stop where I know the fuel is cheap and islands wide though when I'm OD

cke, Landincoldfire and Newdriver2015 Thank this.
  4. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    Pull in there fill up and back out if you need to. Find a little mom and pop fuel stop, or fill up first.

cke Thanks this.
  5. Landincoldfire

Landincoldfire Heavy Load Member

Sep 27, 2015
    New Holland, Pa
    This
    But man there are some situations when I wait til stopping for the evening and drop my trailer to fuel.

6. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Went on doubt, tape measureis your friend. You do have one right...

wore out, Chewy352, magoo68 and 4 others Thank this.
  7. cke

cke Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Colfax Wi
    For what ?? Lol

8. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    How tall is the load? At 11'9, depending on the load, you may not be able to see to back out of the fuel island. Lots of your Loves and Pilots and the older Flying Js are going to be tight. Petro's are normally huge, you can pull 13 wides through. Certain mom and pops are wide enough to pull 14-16 wides through.

Word of caution: double check your permits and look to see whether you are required a pilot car on the 2 lane. Certain states, Kentucky comes to mind, would require a pilot car off the interstate with that load.

Luck in Battle.

MJ1657 and Dye Guardian Thank this.
  9. UltraZero

UltraZero Medium Load Member

Jul 18, 2013
    Lots of great answers. Really depends on the state as mentioned. Also depends on the fuel isle as also mentioned. When in doubt, pull out the ol' measuring tape and measure the fuel isle. Better safe than sorry. I tend to drop my trailer just it is easier than fighting with trying to get out of the fuel isle when someone next to you forgot how not to pull forward too far where no one can turn pass them. And of course, the are on their 30 min break as well. (No where to be found, TV Room) You can also call the fuel stations in advance to ask the width of their fuel isle (Managers sometimes know width)
    I 100% agree Petro seems to have the widest isles. I have noticed some of the Newer/Larger Mom/Pop Truck stops in the middle of the country seem to have wide isles and large lots to turn big loads around.

I also think I remember when going through PA, you have to designate the fuel stops when getting your permit. which will be on your permit. This can be a problem if you pass the fuel stop. No going back. Just voided your permit if caught.

10. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    Most fuel stops can fit up to 12 wide. If unsure back out but make sure you have a clear path behind you because you probably won't be able to see behind you.

noluck, passingthru69 and TripleSix Thank this.
  11. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Not disagreeing, just having a Captain Obvious moment:

11'9 wide through a 12 wide fuel island is threading the needle. Make sure you dont hook the fuel nozzles or hoses. A few more loads like that, and you will become the undisputed champion of needle threading.

mlefler, Chewy352, noluck and 4 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.