12.7 DDEC4, get rid of wastegate?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by fortycalglock, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    I have a quation... Can I use 12.7 manyfold on 14 if I wanna reflash ECM with no VGT and no EGR software. I wanna swap manyfolds and injectors with cheapper 12.7 injectors (one coil per injector).

are cyl heads interchangeble?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Well he would be running it with the stg1 tune pdi has. Is that enough turbo to keep his egts under control or will he need to step up to something bigger.

4. underpsi

underpsi Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Toronto, Ont
    12.7l injectors will not fit in the spot of the 14l but im pretty sure you can swap the head off a 12.7 on a 14.0

5. fastfitz70

fastfitz70 Bobtail Member

Jan 30, 2010
    leesville, SC
    I agree Ruthless, except for the "in most cases" although I guess that's right cause in case you need less fuel economy and a less responsive engine you would want to keep the W/G turbo. I put the PP (Pittsburgh Power) non W/G Turbo on my 12.7 (don't know what it is because if PP told you they would have to kill you, or at least charge less) and there is absolutely no down side.
    The 12.7 makes about 17 HP per pound of boost so with a stock tune no turbo will exceed 30LBs of boost. I also had a PP (piston popper) Box and got past 45LBs on 5 setting going up that hill out of Wheeling with 79 bushel at like 55 mph. The turbo is awesome but the box was pretty crude.
    Minus all the marketing hype the real reason for waste-gate is one turbo can be used for multiple HP ratings

6. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    I'll post update later. The project gonna be started when it gonna be warmer outdoors!

7. BCO532335

BCO532335 Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2012
    wesley chapel,fl
    I'm looking for someone to tune my DDEC4.
    PM
    Thanks

8. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    If you really want to get the most out of one of those expensive tunes or add on boxes, it is best to cut right to quick and put on a ported and coated exhaust manifold, something like the BW 171702 or it's better sibling, the BW AirWerks SX400S4-75 turbo (couple of hundred $ more), and get rid of those darn restrictive OEM mufflers and get something like Walker Megaflows or Donaldson high flow mufflers in place of them. All of that stuff I just mentioned, I can get for as much or less than one of those expensive tunes or boxes. Not bad for the performance and mpg gains just thru them alone. Then when you want to ante up for one of those high priced tunes or that $2500 PP power box (which are good ideas), you will get your monies worth out of it. For the 12.7 or the 14 to really give the best results, it has to be able to breath. Then you can feed it more fuel, change injector timing, etc and it will perform like it should. Having all that restrictive intake/exhaust stuff from the manufacturers is like you going on the boston marathon and only being able to breath thru a straw. You can pile on the energy drinks and whatever else, but you are still only able to breath thru that darn straw.

Oh, and lets not forget about the intake. Those with side cans will not have to do a lot, but those with under hood air filters need to get something like a Fleet Air Filter or K&N and get a freer flowing air intake.

If most would concentrate on just these mods, even without a tune or Power Box, they would see far better performance and could see upwards of 1 mpg better fuel mileage. The return on investment could easily be under 6 months. Best of all, they do not have to be done all at once. Just the Fleet Air Filter and the Walker Megaflow muffler(s) together are easy on the wallet, yet could possibly pay for themselves after the first month they are on. They can be done over time as you see fit. Each mod will give a little benefit, and combined will really make a difference. Of course this is easier with a pre-egr engine, and doing it to an egr version, at least for the turbo, almost requires some sort of ECM tune because of the VG turbos on those.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  9. lastgoodusername

lastgoodusername Medium Load Member

Dec 18, 2008
    central NC
    plenty of folks can tune that ecm . i run a 650 hp/2250 trq ecm, walker mufflers, afe air filter,171702 turbo, and a few other mods. 7.3 avg. mpg , slow down even more and i see 8 on a regular basis. this is pulling a curtainside. johnny

10. lastgoodusername

lastgoodusername Medium Load Member

Dec 18, 2008
    central NC
    also, best way to go about this is to do things as they are needed. plan on keeping your truck forever and maintain it that way.

Ruthless Thanks this.
  11. BCO532335

BCO532335 Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2012
    wesley chapel,fl
    I already have a P.P muffler and fleet air filter. my mpg avg is 7.8@63.
    2000 volvo
    3.58 gears
    24.5 rubber lowpro
    13 speed overdrive
    Van

Thanks

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.