12.7 detroit smoking and rattling

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by 4noReason, Jun 15, 2022.

1. 4noReason

4noReason Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2012
    ya ill keep u posted. i just dont get why this is goimg on. i mean u smell the fuel. its a heavy smell. the guy made me turn off truck bcz of how bad it smoked at detroit. can it be a ECM or wire. the lead guy was like maybe overhaul. and im like u need to i overhauled it in 2020 it uses 0 oil 0 coolant. like its frustrating.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Mine does it on occasion. I have air bubbles returning to passengers side tank only. After idling especially, it smokes, and misses, till it’s revved up. Then goes away. It’s an air in fuel problem I thing. Like it almost loses its prime. Maybe yours is sucking air between tanks and fuel pump. Maybe a timing sensor or bad wire? Those are my guesses on mine.

4noReason Thanks this.
  4. 4noReason

Nov 29, 2012
    Weird question. Do you think it could be my jakes. Maybe they are stuck on or something. I had a engine light on before because my high side failed and then worked after adjustment.

5. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    Possible. Like i mentioned before, anything causing loss of compression will have the same symptoms.

Mis adjusted valves, timing, jake, etc. With no compression it can't burn fuel.

6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Someone had a Jake problem, on here recently, had them rebuilt. Another thread, maybe it was yours?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    4noReason Thanks this.
  7. 4noReason

Nov 29, 2012
    no not me

8. 4noReason

Nov 29, 2012
    Hey guys. So I need some reassurance. Detroit called me. And they go we need approval for 3 more hrs of labor. im like sure whats up. they go we did cylinder cut out #5 is looking bad when we cut it the smoke stopped. Im like no they are brand new all 6 i drove 20 miles on them. So they doing more tests. im bout to blow my brains. how is this possible after i replaced all 6 injectors?

9. Big Road Skateboard

May 2, 2021
    Because of no compression. Cut out the fuel, smoke stops. No compression puts raw fuel into the exhaust.

They're in the right direction

Magoo1968, Rideandrepair and 4noReason Thank this.
  10. 4noReason

Nov 29, 2012
    o ok. thx god. but they want to test actual injector. anything else it can be

11. Big Road Skateboard

May 2, 2021
    Yes. Probably not the injector. They know it's been replaced. They need to check valves and see if something is holding one open. Then pull rockers and check valve height. If one is noticeably higher than the others, or lower, there's issues.

Finally yes, pull the injector and stick a camera through the cup to check the piston and cylinder wall.

Rideandrepair, nikmirbre and 4noReason Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.