12.7 Detroit vs isx15 please help

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by htruck, Jul 23, 2017.

1. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    That is the one I would go with. You are going to be able to do more work yourself and parts are much cheaper. Any ole wrench can probably fix it on his lunch break.

passingthru69 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    This speaks volumes. One owner with all the records. I would still dyno test it.
    You mentioned a long wheel base as a negative. Is the seller a flatbed driver? A long wheel base comes in handy for front clearance on long loads of pipe. What are you intending to do with the truck? If pulling a dry van or reefer your fuel economy might suffer because of a bigger gap between the tractor and trailer. If pulling anything else that longer wheel base shouldn't scare you at all.

4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Sounds like you've already made up your mind. Just do your due dilligence before you sign on the dotted line.

Lepton1 and passingthru69 Thank this.
  5. htruck

htruck Bobtail Member

Jul 23, 2017
    He did refer work has fairings on it. I am doing flat bed work . The concern is getting weight to front tires on heavy loads also with million miles I know many of the moving parts have been replaced but still concerns me. It is my first semi and if I get it wrong it will sink my truck business. I have dump trucks with the 400 big cam cummins and rollbacks with the 7.3 just have to get the big rig right.

Lepton1 and passingthru69 Thank this.
  6. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    Well now that you gave us more info I'm in the 1 million mile truck camp now.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  7. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    We hat other parts are you worried about?

Kingpins?
    Rears?
    Trans?
    Brakes?

Those are about the only wear parts. Not that expensive and can be quickly repaired with pullouts if you have to. Well except the kingpins and brakes.

My truck is a 1993 by the way.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    About the only other things I'd add to that list of things that could put an older truck out of action would be hoses and wiring. As long as its kept up on it shouldn't be an issue.

Lepton1 and cnsper Thank this.
  9. htruck

htruck Bobtail Member

Jul 23, 2017
    I am going to have brakes done (if mechanic says so) all fluids changed and filters on the 01 if I get it first thing just so there is no issues.

10. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    I'd grab the 2001 in a heart beat. For the age and miles I wouldn't pay much more than $30k if it's really nice. $10k if it needs lots of attention.
    The good thing is, what ever you pay, it can be fixed and fixed right.
    The 2010 can be fixed, and fixed, and fixed, etc etc etc and never be right.

11. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Mine is a 99. Over a million miles
    Yes I have replaced things that have wore out, but that's any piece of equipment. Easy to work on and a good steady trk...

DDlighttruck, Lepton1 and cnsper Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.