12.7 s60, can you add a crankcase vent?

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Elroythekid, Feb 4, 2023.

1. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    I have a 2012 Columbia glider 12.7, s60, block vin says 2004, but no EGR no nothing. It just had a tube to the ground for crankcase vent. I just had it dyno'd and it has 1in of blow by. So not anywhere enough to rebuild it.
    When i idle the fumes collect under the hood and make it into the cab, I've tried to seal it up but it gets into the hvac somehow and fills the cab quickly.
    Can I add one of these, and have the fumes go back to the intake?
    Thanks. Screenshot_20230204-100227_Samsung Internet.jpg

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I don't know if I'd go that route. I'm not a fan of introducing anything but clean air into an engine.

If I'm remembering it right my dad routed the one on his old truck into the exhaust pipe. This was nearly 30 years ago so the memory is a bit foggy on that one.

D.Tibbitt and beastr123 Thank this.
  4. Elroythekid

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    I tried routing it out from under the truck but the moisture froze over night and it blew a gallon of oil out the dipstick tube.
    Needs to be close to the block for heat.
    I'll ask the guys at Detroit about putting it to the exhaust, but I'm figuring it will need a filter of some sort. It was -39 here last night and I woke up with a headache, stinging eyes and closed sinuses, I need to do something soon.
    Thanks.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

Does your hvac have a recirculate setting?

6. Elroythekid

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    It helps for a while, I actually turn it to recirculate when ever I'm coming to a stop, it gets into the hvac immediately. After a bit it will just get in, it hangs under the truck, the skirts keep it in. I've idles the last 2 nights and with the truck shut off for 15 minutes you can still smell it when you walk up to the truck, it's like everything under the truck is coated in it from the idling it's done the last 2 days.

7. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    You might a hole in your cab or something. My Detroit would smoke so much that people at a truck stop would come and knock on my door, saying that my truck is on fire, but smoke never got inside

8. Elroythekid

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    The floor has 3 layers of sound deadner, foam everywhere else. I cant find any access, maybe door seals?
    I think its hvac. Maybe the recirc isnt closing all the way, regardless, I'd like to get rid of the stink all together if I could.

9. Smellfunny

Smellfunny Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    South Carolina
    I have a guy with a classic that has his run from the valve cover all the way to the back of his truck. Been like that for probably 12 years with no issue but we are in SC. He has hose to the frame and then pvc piping to the rear. I would not install one of those crankcase breathers. later 12.7 and 14 liter engines had a port out of the back of the valve cover and ran around on top of the transmission and down.

Is it exhaust fumes or is it the blowby you are getting in the cab?

10. Elroythekid

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    It's the blowby. I tried extending it and it froze up and puked a gallon of oil out one REAL cold night. Mt port is front right side. It was a pipe back to the top of the trans and stopped there under the cab when I got. I tried to extend that. Then I took a tube and put it right out behind the front wheel, same thing.

11. Elroythekid

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    I just stopped for a bite and have it idling and throw the fan switch on, recirc on, and it's pretty good, tou do get a little whiff now and again. Turn either off and its game on.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.