12.7 tough spin when cold

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by stonefly4, Nov 30, 2020.

1. stonefly4

stonefly4 Light Load Member

Oct 4, 2018
    I think you're right, Rideandrepair. I think it's the head gasket. I'd like to be as sure as possible because if I pull the head and change the gasket, and still have the same problem, I'm gonna kick a puppy.

I'm not gonna do anything for a while but run it, keeping an eye on the coolant loss and the gauges. I'm gettin' decent rates and the engine is not showing any signs of self-destructing.

Although, as spsauerland said, there can be coolant in the oil without it showing on the stick, I doubt that there is very much coolant in the oil, and now that I'm using straight water, I'm not worried as much. I'd worry a lot more about antifreeze getting into the oil than straight water.

It only lost about 2/3 of a gallon in 3 days and over 600 miles, most of which were the cussed hills in northwest and central Pennsylvania.

I've had this truck for over 20 years and it now has close to 2,000,000 miles on—never had the head off—never had the oil pan off—still running the original injectors. I've got faith in it. I'd be a fool not to have faith in it. I'm amazed at the dependability and the resiliency of series 60 engines. I'm gonna give mine a good chance to keep earning for me before I pull the cylinder head.

If water loss begins to increase, I'll probably park it under the beam and hoist I built on my multiple trunked black walnut and yank the cylinder head.

My main worry is the oil. If I was visibly getting coolant in the oil I'd go right home, but as long as that's not happening and as long as the coolant loss is relatively little, I gotta run it.

"If it’s building pressure, any weak point will leak." My fear is that the weak point might be between the cooling system and the oil system. Right now, there is more pressure in the oil system than there is in the cooling system. I like it that way. As a matter of fact, when I put my finger in the surge tank to see if I can feel the water, I get sludge on my finger. I think I am getting a little oil into the cooling system. As long as it stays that way and not the other way around, it's livable.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stonefly4

Oct 4, 2018
    I will check it out, although I don't think I have those valves. I have simplified this truck, removing unnecessary parts. I think if I had anything like that I would have removed it (and forgotten about it).

I can't remember the last time I ran this truck with the radiator cap on tight. I haven't crossed the Rocky Mountains in a long while. If the cap ain't on tight when you cross the mountains the coolant will boil off.

4. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I can only tell you to get the right antifreeze in that truck as soon as you can.

Not trying to knock you but that is really bad for your engine.

Not only can you crack the block, not only does antifreeze lubricate your water pump, your liners are going to cavitate.

I'm not saying they may or may not I am saying they will it is only a matter of time.

Antifreeze has the right additives in it that prevent the liners from cavitating.

If you were to keep adding regular antifreeze to it and you were lucky and it's just a head gasket then you'll change it.

But by putting water into it you're headed toward a whole rebuild instead of just a head gasket or injector cups or whatever.

Whatever problem you're having you're causing yourself a much larger problem.

If money is a problem that you can't do a head gasket, how are you going to do the whole rebuild which is a much larger and higher cost job?

If you value your truck and you value your engine get the right antifreeze in that truck today and say a prayer you didn't destroy your engine.

baha and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  5. stonefly4

Oct 4, 2018

I just turned 74 years old.

You tryin' to kill me?

Seriously, everything you said is true, I know.

I mainly wanted to know why it's hydro locking and what's the most likely part to be first in line for replacement. Thanks to all the replies, I'm going with head gasket, which is what I have suspected all along, but just wanted to verify the best I could. Thanks to everybody who replied. I learned a lot in addition to my original question. This is a good forum—good place.

I'm old. I'm a loner. "—it is only a matter of time"

Yeah, and maybe not much in my case.

I know this sounds crazy, but even though I know that most of what you said is true, I get a perverse pleasure out of defying the odds and running this old Freightshaker against all odds. In case anybody's wondering, my brakes are good, my tires are good, and my lights work.

In any case, I think I found the answer I was looking for. It's the head gasket. I'm almost certain now. So again, thanks to everybody who replied.

In fact, I don't think I could have prepared for the task any better way than to come here and ask, ask, ask... questions.

If I go through all the work of changing the head gasket and it turns out to be something else, at least I tried. Coming to this forum and asking questions is a lot better than throwing parts at a problem.

Who knows? If it turns out I did a lot of work for nothing, I may not even kick a puppy.

6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Check the bunk valve, I’m pretty sure it has an air over electric valve. You can just turn the water off to it if it’s bad.

7. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Buy the test kit to check for head gasket failure, liquid will change color i in f combustion gases present

Rideandrepair and stonefly4 Thank this.
  8. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I did not mean to upset you at all.

If you were somewhere closer to me I would come and give you a hand.

I just sincerely don't want to see you have a bigger problem than what you already have.

I know everyone here has given you great advice but I'm going to call the real professional mechanics to this forum and see if maybe they can help you to pinpoint your problem.

@Goodysnap
    @spsauerland
    @AModelCat

Maybe one or all of you guys could provide some assistance to this gentleman in the best way to pinpoint his problem?

And to the Op:

If one of these gentlemen reaches out to you to help you please do the testing do whatever it is that they tell you to do exactly to the letter.

Your problem can be pinpointed so you're not guessing when you do the repair, but you have to do exactly what they tell you.

Brettj3876 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  9. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    From what I've heard those test are junk, heard of many passing but most definitely having a failed headgasket

10. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    If its hydrolocking where is that water going when you try to start it? It would have to push past the rings and then get in the oil correct? You can't compress water so it's likely not going out the valves correct? Also if there is water getting into the cylinder when its shut off wouldn't it also be getting water in when its running and then be smoking white?

Run antifreeze and get an oil sample taken. But if you have 2 million miles on this motor and its never been opened up #1 you deserve some kind of award but #2 its time to rebuild. It I was going to take the head off a 2 million mile motor I think I'd just overhaul the dang thing. Replace the headgasket and 2 weeks later something else might let loose on that old dog

11. stonefly4

Oct 4, 2018
    I know you're not trying to kill me.

I was just trying to inject a little humor into the situation.

Actually, I'm bringin' it home, but not for the engine problems.

The old super 10 is growlin'. I have another transmission at home. A trans swap is in order, outside, on the dirt, just me myself and I, no electricity, no heat, but it needs to be done, so I'm gonna do it. The super 10 has almost 2 million miles on it. I figure it don't owe me anything. I'm gonna give it a rest. Also, the fan clutch bearings are growling. I don't intend to let my fan charge through the radiator.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.