12 Volt Cooking in Truck

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking in the Truck | Trucker Recipe Forum' started by tscottme, Aug 24, 2016.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ham, taters and small onions. Throw into that little lunchbox oven. Toss it onto the floor and wait a day. It's going to cook well. But wait a day for it to finish. Drain the fluids and enjoy.

It's really really basic but considering what keeps and what does not inside a truck cab you do well with that. Don't be cheap on the ham. Get the good quality ham.

RedRover Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    What's the best way to cook rice in the 12V lunchbox oven? Not the pre-cooked rice in the pouches, although there isn't wrong with that if you're in a hurry.

4. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Chicken & rice

5. Friday

Friday Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Charlottesville, Va
    I just line the box with a sheet of aluminum foil. Hasn't failed me yet, do have to be a bit careful not to tear a hole in it while stirring. But the savings are significant. Still on the first roll of foil that cost $2. That's using the box 4-5 times a week since April....

tscottme Thanks this.
  6. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Same as at home, but it might take a little more time.
    2 parts water to 1 part rice. You can heat the water first or just do them together. It's best to add just a bit more water because some will leak out.
    On the stove rice will take about 20 minutes to cook, after you add the rice to boiling water. In the oven it will take about 1.25 hours if you start them at the same time.

If you are cooking other things with it you will need the tin to be covered with foil. Then you can place the other items on top.

If cooking carrots, add them in to the water/rice at the beginning - adding a bit more water for the carrots.
    (Otherwise, get a second oven for the carrots and start them at the same time.)
    Broccoli can be wrapped in foil, with a little water for steam, and cooked on top for around 45 minutes.
    Asparagus can also be wrapped in foil and cooked for about 20 minutes.
    Figure 4-5 hours for a baked potato, depending on the size, if you like it fluffy inside.

A chicken breast will take 20-30 minutes, depending on how thick it is.
    Salmon, about 15-20 minutes.
    Both are assuming a fully heated oven with other items (like rice or baked potato) already cooking.

Friday Thanks this.
  7. Rusty Trawler

Rusty Trawler Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2016
    What's the best thing to line my microwave cookware with so I don't have dirty dishes?

8. OTRReeferRunner

OTRReeferRunner Light Load Member

Sep 30, 2015
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    [​IMG]

I use this stove. I like the that fact I set it, and forget it. I can cook while I'm driving and when I stop everything is cooked and I just sit down and eat. I also like I can set the temp from warm to very hot for leftovers.

tscottme and JC1971 Thank this.
  9. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    I kind of wish I had bought that one since you can adjust the temperature, because when you cook rice you're supposed to lower it to a simmer after boiling, while the RoadPro is only on or off. Or I could get a job with a real company that has APU's or allows large inverters so you don't have to use these crap 12 volt appliances.

Also, do disposable aluminum pans fit in that one? It looks a different size and shape than the RoadPro.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    Reason for edit: Added something
    RedRover Thanks this.
  10. RedRover

RedRover Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    You eat better in your truck than I ate at home this last week lol. My brother has done some serious prison time, so I can cook with boiling water, ramen, tortilla chips and any ingredients I want. I'm set lol

11. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    Husky or German Sheppard will make it shiny

Rusty Trawler and tscottme Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.