13 speed question, help with splitting and rpms with shifting?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Xenavicious, Oct 3, 2023.

1. Xenavicious

Xenavicious Bobtail Member

Oct 3, 2023
    Hey guys. I'm wondering if there's anything I need to know if I don't want to split gears. Do the rpms stay the same? Or do I shift like a normal 10 speed that has no splitter? Thanks guys!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    Shift like normal. Why not split?

4. Xenavicious

Oct 3, 2023
    Honestly, I'm just now learning 13 speed, and haven't driven a manual in a long time. I really need this job and my boss is riding with me to make sure I'm not grinding gears. The splitting I think I can pick up but with time. Any suggestions?

5. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    Youtube could probably give yoy a better idea than I can explain. Shift like normal and figure it our later.

Good luck

And don't worry about grinding. I drive an 18, guarantee I'd grind the hell out of a different trans first time

Sons Hero, kemosabi49, Numb and 4 others Thank this.
  6. Xenavicious

Oct 3, 2023
    Thank u! Unfortunately YouTube doesn't have videos for my specific question. I'm pretty good usually at finding what I'm looking for but not for this particular question. If you might know of any links please by all means. If not, thank u for your reply!

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  7. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    A 13 is an 8 speed where you can split the top 4....Not a 10....you can shift it like an 8 and just split the top gear ‘till you get used to it....but you may find yourself luggin some of the mid gears

Todd727, Bean Jr., Bud A. and 3 others Thank this.
  8. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    But honest with your prospective employer. He might give you a few pointers. Good luck driver.

9. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Maybe ask the Boss. Better than faking it. He’ll probably be more than happy to help and avoid damage to the trans. Ask what RPMs are best shift points for best MPGs. He’ll probably appreciate and respect that. There’s a lot of Drivers that never drove a 13. I agree with splitting the top gear only. I often only split the top 2 . Also often don’t split down at all. I’ll drop a whole gear if needed. It’s just seems easier on the trans and definitely easier on the Driver. Less concentration needed.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2023
  10. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Don’t watch the rpm’s. Rpm’s will differ. They will, however, have the same rhythm. It’s like jumping rope…you don’t watch the rope, you listen and time it.

When you watch the youtube videos, LISTEN to the shifts. Watch several videos with different transmissions…you will eventually realize that they all have the same rhythm. Once you learn the rhythm, all shifting becomes super easy.

Sons Hero, tscottme and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  11. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    https://youtube.com/shorts/HFQIDoh_pcI?si=LlB7HyK0nbWPPGEG

Here's a YouTube video I found on the subject. If your boss is only concerned that you don't grind the gears, then I would not be overly concerned about correct splitter usage.

Looks like something you could pick up on in an afternoon. Hope this helps.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.